PlasmaCam exhaust question

Does the PlasmaCam have an interlock on it that prevents it from cutting if the exhaust isn’t turned on? Thanks.

It does not have an interlock currently.

2 Likes

No, no interlock.

Also, there is a delay of 10+ seconds when the exhaust is turned on before it actually kicks in, so don’t panic.

Recommended is to flip the switch when you start your work. Running it a little early won’t hurt. Putting plate metal down over the unused parts of the bed will help with venting fumes into the exhaust.

I set a timer for 10 minutes with I finish with the plasma to let the exhaust clear out the air in the metals shop, then turn the switch off. Running it a bit after you are done as well helps clear the air.

2 Likes

Some of us were discussing Chris’s (doesn’t seem grammatically correct, too lazy to look up rule for possessive form of name that ends in an “s”) observations.

We pretty much might be advisable to consider having the plasma exhaust fan have a light sensitive switch so it is running whenever someone is in Metal Shop. Also, when welding the wall mounted fume extractor should be used to the maximum extant possible.

2 Likes

That’s good. Also correct Chris’, but most grammarians I’ve found to prefer the prior as it more closely meshes with spoken language (though that is up for debate, too).
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/possessive-of-proper-names-ending-in-s/

4 Likes

Did you mean heat or motion sensitive instead of light?

Otherwise, just wire it into the light switch. And expect it to run quite a bit when not necessary because people are not good about turning lights off.

Light sensor. No need to run wire over to light switches. Just a rely that is activated when the light on.

If we wanted to get real fancy, have the sensor have some value that turns it on on keeps it on until a threshold is crossed.

If you mean as measured by Brandon’s air quality sensor, that would be the ideal.

My concern about connecting it to the light, either directly or indirectly, is that we will be unnecessarily cooling or heating Carrollton.

2 Likes

That would imply that the HVAC is on in that area. It’s been off for sometime best I remember. Chuck & I were talking about an interlock with the filter so it wouldn’t freeze.

Here’s a still image captured from the video. The seemingly large particles are forcefully swirling around in the video. This also suggests to me that there is some type of HVAC in that room, but I could be wrong.

It was captured on 2/22 at around 10:56 am. It is only visible when the lights are off. This is not the only instance.