PlasmaCAM consumables and a possible change of equipment

Dammit, Tim!
We can NOT build a bunch of useful, cool tools people actually WANT with group play! The product MUST be a useless bauble…
Wait… WHAT!?!
That’s NOT in the rules?
Others have already made useful crossover projects?
Well, then. Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!
(Hope I can help, cause I TOTALLY want a tubing bender for stuff I’ll probably never manage to get around to…)

2 Likes

Hi Brady, April here. I was wondering if you could purchase a set of consumables for me so I do not make a wrong purchase. I could give you the money in advance. And if not any more trouble, could you get the metal also? I wanted to cut a few crosses out. I have not used the machine yet on my own, which also, could you be there after you teach a class in case i went astray. I fail all the time and didn’t want to fail in this case. Please consider helping a weakling out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not related to consumables but interesting. Last night at 10:30 someone cancelled out of the Monday PlasmaCAM class. At 2:06AM today someone else grabbed the seat. I’ll try to submit a couple more classes soon. Thanks to all for interest in the classes!

Cancelling as early as possible when you cannot make a class is always Excellent Behavior!

1 Like

I can help. Will respond by PM.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking valuable time out of your evening to walk me through the plasmacam steps again. I truly appreciate it and would be happy to develop a step-by-step job aide document for the Metal Shop wiki page when the new plasmacam is procured.

Thanks again, the refresher really helped me.

Scott Blevins

2 Likes

As a beginner plasmacam user, I would like to just mention that perhaps a couple of the reasons the Plasmacam doesn’t get used so often is the fact the table and PC are often blocked by other equipment (e.g. the oven?) and the software is anything BUT intuitive to use. To further complicate the use of the machine, any off-site design work is often imported incorrectly by the program thereby requiring many edits to the file thus tying up its use. (The software program can only be run on the PC that is actually attached to the table.) My suggestion: ANY replacement machine should be thoroughly vetted for ease of use re: software.

2 Likes

What specifically does not import correctly? My few imports have always come in correctly. I have helped a couple of folks where Edit/Link Segments would not link correctly. The Automatic Linking/Link Distance is generally set to 0.001 which works for the DMSKeyring file just fine. We had to increase this considerable to get it to work. These were not errors. The calculated values were just a bit larger than expected.

On the other hand, the value has occasionally been set to a quarter inch or so by a previous user. The segments of the little keyring are so small and close that this causes some bizarre linking.

1 Like

I use Coreldraw X7 to design and export the DXF. If I had to narrow down the issue, it most likely applies to the import of TEXT and different FONTS. I tried both export as TEXT as well as convert to curves.Also, I had a few USA maps of states (outlines only), which caused some issues. But note, eventually I was able to get the file in proper condition and was able to cut the design. I’ve had some experience using AutoCad back in the old days, so maybe on my next project that’s what I will use.

Any word on what software the proposed new Plasma-cam would use?

1 Like