PlasmaCAM consumables and a possible change of equipment

@Team_Metal_Shop The $5.00 fee students pay for the class is for consumables. The PlasmaCAM training gives part numbers for consumables and we recommend that students acquire their own parts or use whatever is currently in the torch. This may not have been wonderful but I have run a number of classes and have not heard complaints.

With the possible purchase of another tool within the foreseeable future, this becomes more awkward. I cover the material as previously but mention that changes may be coming and they may not want to stock up too much.

Iā€™m looking forward to your suggestions on how we should handle this.

On another somewhat related matter, my observation is that few students seem to actually use the tool after successfully completing the training. If we make it easy and economical for casual uses to use the tool, it will likely see more usage. @Team_Laser seems to be leading the pack recently in promoting usage of their equipment. We should probably do more to help with the plasma cutter,

4 Likes

Maybe I misunderstand, but I was under the impression that the $5 for the class was metal used in the class, and the consumables used in the class. $5 one time consumables is nothing, and surely isnā€™t for more than just the initial class right?

Just an FYI, I believe all of the Plasmaā€™s that we were considering purchasing use the same consumables as the current machine.

Personally, Iā€™m not using the current plasma because I donā€™t want to take the class and learn it if we are going to be replacing it in the ā€œnearā€ future.

1 Like

This is the only reason I havenā€™t touched the PlasmaCAM since your class.

Can someone please confirm this? I didnā€™t even consider buying that stuff knowing that there was as potential change in the future.

1 Like

This is a very timely topic for me as I have (A) completed Plasmacam
training; (B) never used it since being trained; Ā© REALLY want to begin
using it; (D) have likely forgotten everything needed to use it.

I will happily re-take the course and/or pay for a one-off session with an
SME to get myself to using that tool regularly. I really want to begin
using it.

Thanks,

Scott

3 Likes

So, currently, we have a handheld plasma cutter that is mounted in a CNC bed, and we have a handheld plasma cutter that is running only on 120V, and is in the welding area. Whatever happens with the new CNC plasma, the current cutter will be moving over to the welding area to replace the smaller, weaker, Miller plasma in the welding area.

With that in mind, Iā€™d be happy to take any extra consumables off your hands when the new CNC comes in. :slight_smile:

Also, of the machines Tim had in his spreadsheet, I seem to remember most/all? had a beefier version of our current CNC torch with the same consumables. @TBJK. Can you confirm?

1 Like

Good to know they wouldnā€™t go to waste.

Can anyone recommend a vendor for these consumables?

1 Like

Who confirmed this? Last I heard the plasmacam and hypertherm were on loan, and one of the conditions was that the hypertherm not be used handheld.

1 Like

I just teach classes in the Metal shop, I have no official statements to make, only hearsay.

Maybe @dallasmagna or @TBJK Can give you an official response.

1 Like

So hears the deal, the machine we (Metal Shop Committee ) voted for was the Dynatorch. That machine uses mostly the same consumables. The difference would be the shield and retaining cap. Those will be ohmic. I would love to say when we can order the new machine but the fact of the matter it is uncertain until we know the financials about next door. It was approved before the previous board but due to the max allocation of 5k per month pushed it into the flux of unknowns.

Also we were told by @Robert_Davidson that he likely didnā€™t want the machine back.

Metal shops intention was to use the existing hypertherm machine as a hand held until either he wanted it back or other known what else would be come of it. That was pending once we got the new CNC.

Do NOT under any circumstances disconnect the existing machine and use it as a hand held in its current place.

As for local sources Metroplex Welding Supply is a great source for consumables.

Edit for clarity.

5 Likes

ā€˜Metroplexā€™ via Google search brings up everything. Is there another identifier?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Metroplex Welding Supply

3 Likes

I think theyā€™re talking about this place.
http://www.metroweld.com/

2 Likes

zmetzing
http://post.spmailtechno.com/f/a/G50YmsVakRNClsgtJmrhOg~~/AAChrAA~/RgRcxKB3P0QraHR0cDovL3RhbGsuZGFsbGFzbWFrZXJzcGFjZS5vcmcvdS96bWV0emluZ1cDc3BjWAQAAAAAQgoAAPds41pJbQ0FUhxzY290dC5ibGV2aW5zLmRlbjVAZ21haWwuY29t
April 27

Scott_Blevins:

I will happily re-take the course and/or pay for a one-off session with an
SME to get myself to using that tool regularly. I really want to begin
using it.

Iā€™ll be around tonight after the board meeting if youā€™d like to run a
quick cut to get re-familiar with the tool.

Visit Topic
http://post.spmailtechno.com/f/a/hRdHTPX8_4kYR9u51GiHHQ~~/AAChrAA~/RgRcxKB3P0RkaHR0cDovL3RhbGsuZGFsbGFzbWFrZXJzcGFjZS5vcmcvdC9wbGFzbWFjYW0tY29uc3VtYWJsZXMtYW5kLWEtcG9zc2libGUtY2hhbmdlLW9mLWVxdWlwbWVudC8zNTI4OS8xNVcDc3BjWAQAAAAAQgoAAPds41pJbQ0FUhxzY290dC5ibGV2aW5zLmRlbjVAZ21haWwuY29t
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To
Scott_Blevins
http://post.spmailtechno.com/f/a/oLk5PCXI5VWyn5Pj7Khn4w~~/AAChrAA~/RgRcxKB3P0QwaHR0cDovL3RhbGsuZGFsbGFzbWFrZXJzcGFjZS5vcmcvdS9zY290dF9ibGV2aW5zVwNzcGNYBAAAAABCCgAA92zjWkltDQVSHHNjb3R0LmJsZXZpbnMuZGVuNUBnbWFpbC5jb20~ Laser
Committee Vice-Chair
April 27
This is a very timely topic for me as I have (A) completed Plasmacam
training; (B) never used it since being trained; Ā© REALLY want to begin
using it; (D) have likely forgotten everything needed to use it. I will
happily re-take the course and/or pay for a one-off session with an SME to
get myseā€¦

Visit Topic
http://post.spmailtechno.com/f/a/hRdHTPX8_4kYR9u51GiHHQ~~/AAChrAA~/RgRcxKB3P0RkaHR0cDovL3RhbGsuZGFsbGFzbWFrZXJzcGFjZS5vcmcvdC9wbGFzbWFjYW0tY29uc3VtYWJsZXMtYW5kLWEtcG9zc2libGUtY2hhbmdlLW9mLWVxdWlwbWVudC8zNTI4OS8xNVcDc3BjWAQAAAAAQgoAAPds41pJbQ0FUhxzY290dC5ibGV2aW5zLmRlbjVAZ21haWwuY29t
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://post.spmailtechno.com/f/a/YgsB5oFcrhL4bbCQZmq57w~~/AAChrAA~/RgRcxKB3P0RzaHR0cDovL3RhbGsuZGFsbGFzbWFrZXJzcGFjZS5vcmcvZW1haWwvdW5zdWJzY3JpYmUvMDIwNDFkYjZhMTM0ZDE5MzI2NGNkNDg4ZDg5ODM5MWY2MGUyMTE0YTIxMjNlMTc1MDA1Y2FjODYyNGIwNTVhY1cDc3BjWAQAAAAAQgoAAPds41pJbQ0FUhxzY290dC5ibGV2aW5zLmRlbjVAZ21haWwuY29t

1 Like

I will be at the maker space this evening! If you are willing to run me
through the steps, I am more than happy to accept your offer!

Let me know when you free up. 972-345-7088.

Scorr

1 Like

@jast, @Photomancer, @zmetzing All class announcements we have used for the last year seem to include a statement ā€œThe class fee goes toward consumables on the plasma cutter.ā€ This should be removed from future announcements.

1 Like

I do not see it that way.
The fees go to the Metal Shop. Metal Shop makes an honest effort to supply consumables for the CNC Plasma Cutter. Ergo, the fee (probably only partially) funds having consumables for the machine so the casual user can practice with it. I do recommend, however, to my students that IF they are concerned with the quality of their work, they should supply their own, so they are certain of their conditionā€¦

I agree that it would be lovely if we could come up with ā€œprojectā€ classes, in addition to a Metal Shop 101, to really help folks get into and use the Metal Shop. I have lots of a few great ideas, but have yet to actually make good on any of them for a variety of reasonsā€¦
Maybe we need to start the ā€œMetal Shop Craps Clubā€ and CNC Plasma cut 6-sided dice, which can then be bent on the brake, welded with the welders, cleaned up with the sanders/etc, and then powder coated, all right there in Metal Shopā€¦

3 Likes

My suggestion to remove the statement is because of an earlier comment by @zmetzing. Since usage is controversial, I will remove it from my announcements. Iā€™m just a teacherā€¦ I donā€™t have to explain where the stinkin fee goes.

Using the PlasmaCAM is reasonably economical and easy for serious users willing to run around and put serious funds into it. I do not think that is the case for casual users. While I try to mention it in classes, they are not familiar with going to suppliers and looking for cut offs. Consumables are generally available in quantities of five or more. I wish there was a one-stop shop where users could buy a single nozzle, a single electrode and a 24"x48" piece of 1/8" steel. We are not in the business of providing such a service and I do not care to take it on but I wish it was easier for casual users to gear up for using the plasma cutter.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll get no guff from me on that choice and probably influence me in that direction for sound reasoning.

I, too, find it hard to ā€œfind cutoffsā€. This is a game better played by folks who do this regularly, work from their truck, and/or are retired or for other reasons have free time ā€œduring business hoursā€. Us 8-6 weekday workers struggle with it, especially if itā€™s not something we rub elbows with daily, or everā€¦
IF we ever get that Fastenal vending machine, a single-serve pack of nozzle & electrode seems like a no-brainer. Until then, Iā€™d recommend folks go in together on a kit, and split 'em up 5 ways or so. Ro-sham-bo for the odd pieces? Iā€™ve considered charging enough to cover my costs on them ($20.00 per seat, or so) and giving them out at classtime. Then each student could use their own, and have the experience of changing them out, as well, if we wanted to add that time to the classā€¦ Anyway. Hasnā€™t happened. May neverā€¦

1 Like

Part of me really would like to ceremonially present each student with their very own shinny new copper nozzle and electrode. In reality though, I really like free and cheap classes. ($5 easily fits into cheap) But, I really think significantly less than 50% of students actually use the tool after class. That is not a problem. For the rest of their lives they can say, ā€œBack in 2018 at Makerspace I actually used a CNC plasma cutter to cut a key chain from a sheet of steel.ā€

I have considered buying up a few nozzles and electrodes and sending an email to the class a week ahead of time that I will have some for $20 per set. I guess that would be legit.

4 Likes

I have had some thoughts on a group project. This project I would like to see done between metal shop & machine shop.

Build a tubing bender.

Build a press brake attachment for the press.

2 Likes