PlasmaCAM Class Questions

I’m a new member, so I would like to apologize in advance if I’m posting this in the incorrect area. I really wanted to take the class for the CNC plasma cutter, but it’s booked solid on Monday, May 15. Is there a waiting list I can get on, in case of a cancellation? My second question is, when is the next class? I didn’t find another listing on the calendar.

3 Likes

You can show up & see if there are any cancellations. We can’t guarantee you will get a spot but it’s worth a shot. The classes are actually pretty frequent. About 1 a week is the norm.

3 Likes

You posted in exactly the right spot.
Welcome to Dallas Makerspace!

I personally try to teach the class every other Monday, so although not yet listed, I’ll likely list another for the 29th, probably visible around the 25th or so. The other instructors are also teaching them on other days, so keep your eyes peeled for other offerings. Filter by tool on “plasma cutter” to see them. (and check back even if they’re “sold out” when you first visit. A fair number of times someone cancels and someone else can then jump in).

There is (in general) no waiting list. First come first served. Opinions differ on whether this is good, but it’s generally what we do at the 'Space.

Tim’s right, you MIGHT be able to slip in to a no-show spot if you’re at the 'Space on class night. No guarantees, though.

Thank you for your interest!

3 Likes

Thanks to you both for your speedy replies. I’ll show up, just in case. I did use the “plasma cutter” filter and didn’t see any other classes listed.

2 Likes

I’ll have another class up soon, as well. We’ve hit critical mass on instructors, it seems!

3 Likes

I’ve sat in as a prospective trainer but wanted to get some more trigger time myself. I’ve been practicing, might be comfortable going there now. For some reason I was thinking we had all we needed now, my bad.

We can always use extra instructors! Tim has been a trooper with his class schedule (while also working on everything else at DMS), and we don’t want to wear him out. I took May off, but I plan to get one scheduled for June. If possible, four classes (by different instructors) a month is a good goal.

3 Likes

I have worked with @TBJK to become an instructor I will most likely being doing classes on Tuesday nights. I plan on starting in 3 weeks do to being out of town.

1 Like

I was able to take the class, as someone was a no-show, and I showed. I’m looking forward to using the table for some projects. Thank you all for your responses!

3 Likes