Plasma Cutter status and training

I will be up there tomorrow around 6PM. Board Meeting is 7PM - 11PM, so if we can meet at 6PM, we can put anything that will need funding on the board meeting agenda. Overall though we need a PE to design and sign off on a design. If we have to pay them, that’ts fine. Right now we can’t even find one willing to accept the work.

Thanks for looking into this.

1 Like

Was a path layed out to have a vent hood ultimately installed? In the search for an engineer, there has to be other machine shops that have installed hoods. The could be contacted to find out who the engineer was. Plasma Cutter manufacturers may be able to provide a list of engineers in the area.

1 Like

About a week ago I met with another PE. We are expecting the quote by COB tomorrow. I honestly think he is the most promising one so far since he is the only one that has asked to see the roof. Once we know more I will make an announcement.

6 Likes

If this falls through (again) can we have a down to Earth conversation with the fire marshal about the situation? This professional engineer stuff is getting ridiculous. The fact that most of the professional engineers we’ve reached out to don’t call back or won’t take it is a sign of how ridiculous this situation really is. What’s wrong with something like this or something like what the laser cutters have setup plus a hood?

http://www.ventafume.com/content/pages/place-a-vent

I think professional engineers are not calling back because it’s a waste of their time (and our time). If you can buy something on the internet to solve the problem then you probably don’t need a professional engineer. Am I missing something?

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I pointed out in one of the threads. It is designed for that particular purpose. I wouldn’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work personally.

1 Like

A waterjet cutter would be nice… just saying…
http://www.wardjet.com/wardkit5x5

3 Likes

Alex,

Not sure what the status is of the last PE meeting that happened a few weeks ago but I know a PE that works here:http://www.usdraftco.com/, he wants to become a DMS member and can help with an inexpensive solution. He said he can have his boss sign off on this project to get it going. Digger Branson (XXX) XXX-XXXX (PM for number). Let him know you are from Dallas Maker Space regarding the CNC Plasma cutter Hood and were referred by Matt Hoinkes. He should be able to help out. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks!
Matt

4 Likes

We received one quote from the one PE and I would like a second one. I have PM’d you so let me know any info there.

Side note to others: I also spoke with the Building Inspector again last week and we will need some info in order to receive our new Certificate of Occupancy. I will make a bigger detailed post later, but it is going to require a lot of data gathering.

Thanks,

7 Likes

@Alex were you able to get a hold of Digger yesterday? Let me know if you have issues with contacting him and I can try reaching out to him again. Thanks,

I spoke with him today, didn’t remember till after 5PM yesterday. He is passing my info along to another person who will most likely do a visit. I hope to hear from them tomorrow.

Alex,

Any update? I will follow up if you need me to. Just let me know.

Was using a friends cutter lastnight and had so much fun so I am really interested in getting this going. WOuld be a nice christmas present to have!

Thanks,

Matt

2 Likes

I would love to see the plasma cutter up and running as well. There are a couple of problems that need to be addressed.

1. There still is not an exhaust fan or hood and that is the major issue.
  2. I am unconvinced the plasma cutter is in working order.
    I have an exhaust on the plasma cutter I use and it works perfectly. Water in the table captures about 90% and the rest is drawn out by the exhaust fan that has a metal duct close to the cutter. It was approved by the fire marshal.
    Last time I tried to use the PlasmaCAM, the torch height would not track correctly. I remember that very early on someone upgraded the software or made some kind of change. I’m guessing, but I think the wrong version may be loaded for the controller that runs the PlasmaCAM. That or the controller has a problem. I know someone thought they had a work around, but that shouldn’t be necessary. The PlasmaCAM boasts of easy and precise operation so the idea that allowances have to be made means there is something wrong. It could be a simple issue but I think BOTH those issues need to be addressed and corrected. Just my opinion.

Do we still need an engineer? From he posts above I can’t tell if we are done with the design or are just waiting on implementation . I may be able to help if a design is still needed.

I have on engineer design quote so far. I would like to get at least one more. The PE would also need to be the one to coordinate with the contractors and pull permits and such. Please PM me any info.

Another hold up right now is the data gathering I requested here. We need to update our CO at the same time.

Thanks,
Alex

When we get to that position, as I’ve said before that I have a friend that is willing to let us use his contractors license so we can do the work.

1 Like

My firm does engineering design for just this kind of thing. In fact we just finished a shop like this for a technical college in Collin County. Once the engineering department gets back from holiday I will ask them to take a look and see what they can do. I’m sure we can make a good deal for the design etc. I will push for it to be pro bono.

Best,
Raleigh

6 Likes

PM me any info and I will work with whomever.

Thanks,

I really need someone to do this in Metal Shop. I would like to call the Building Inspector but I need the info before doing so.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/dms-needs-your-help/6353

1 Like

As far as I can tell, @LeeCJones nor @texastboneking nor @Danny has been tagged on this request inside this thread. As the committee chairs, I think they are the qualified candidates to supply most of this information, specifically the $$ guesstimates.

So, what can we do to help make this happen?
I can inventory and take model/serial numbers, but I do not think I have the ability to speak to most of the other questions, let alone authoritatively.
Honestly, this should largely be:
The plasma table
the mig welder
the tig/stick welder
the thermalarc
the hobart
the bandsaw

Isn’t that about it that falls within the specified ranges?

Yeah, just the big stuff for the most part, Power requirements and any info for the form.