Plasma cam network connection snipped?

HI so i know its not necessary to have internet connection to use the plasma cam but its helpful for looking at the wiki Also figuring out file compatibility anyway the network cable seems to be gone and snipped idk if the powers that be decided it shouldnt be connected to interwebs and i missed that talk or whether gremlins did it. Thought id mention it thanks!

That definitely should be there to get design files on/off the network drives… And it must have happened recently.

We dont have Ethernet cable run to it. It is on the wireless network.

1 Like

Yeah nowhere to be seen but found a brown 4 pair network cable at the conduit buss snipped…i assume this was it but other than that no sign

Oh i see my mistake didnt find the hardware when run network diagnostic but im no network wizard

I’ll take a look at it later today when I stop by if nobody else gets there first.

1 Like

Just so everyone is clear, the Plasmacam computer uses wifi for internet, not ethernet. That ethernet cable is useless.

The wifi dongle is small and white, plugs into a USB slot.

Yup, it’s always been Wi-Fi. @StanSimmons provided an upgrade dongle a long time ago and it’s been working well ever since. It’s a really small dongle, easy to miss. First thing to check is that the dongle is there and working.

“Have you tried turning it off and then on again?”

1 Like

OK, it’s back online. The current dongle Stan provided is larger than I recall, it’s white, about an inch long. I found it sitting under the manual on the top of the machine. Someone removed it from the back of the machine.

Note: I also found an open file and a 32 GB USB stick laying on the desk. I left it be though I may check again before I leave and, if the memory stick is still there, move it to lost and found.

2 Likes

Thanks i didnt know it used external hardware…i thought that memory stick lives there. Theres always been one there whenever i used it.

Sounds like maybe someone brought in an USB drive and removed the network Wi-Fi adapter (perhaps thinking it was someone else’s thumbdrive) to insert their own. Didn’t reinsert the dongle since they thought is was a storage device.

Was the flash drive white and blue-ish? I’m not at my desk right now to see if I forgot it, but I had one there Sunday night, using the plasma cam. I didn’t unplug any wireless dongles, though, and didn’t try to use the internet to be able to tell you if it was working then or not.