Plano Ham Klub looking for Winter Field Day operating space

Our plano-based, public service group, the Plano Amateur Radio Klub, K5PRK, is looking for a space that can host us on Saturday, January 25th from 11 am to about 9pm. Because of my search, I was recently told the Dallas Makerspace has a ham radio setup.

We are looking to participate in a national operating event to practice our emergency mobilization skills. We act as if there was an emergency (like a devastating tornado, etc) and set up in a temporary location. Put up antennas outside, run cables inside, and make as many contacts as possible during the operating event- called Winter Field Day.

Being a Plano-based group, we have looked into Plano community centers, rec centers, libraries, fire houses and city offices. Nothing fits within in our slim to none budget, and none are open late on Saturday.

We would like to find a conference room, with a table to put three radios on, with access through a window, or nearby door, to the outside. If there’s a grassy area, that’s the best, but if it’s just a small parking area with minimal chance of public crossing the antenna cables, that can work too.

Car dealership, insurance office, whatever. We’re open to suggestions. We’d like to also be able to order pizza in for dinner and eat it inside.

3 Likes

Have you checked TheLab? https://thelab.ms/

They are at Park and 75.

There is a great pizza place a couple of doors away.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I’ll send them an email.

1 Like

All DMS needs is a deadline to get things done. We now have 6 antenna feeds that go to the 22 foot tall roof. We have several new antennas that need to be installed. Our Inverted V antenna, that is already on the roof, needs the base repaired and the antenna tuner connected back up. We have several radio rigs that were donated by Walter Anderson that are in storage. Sounds like a good fit to get the DMS Amateur Radio group back in business again.

6 Likes

Hi Anthony! If you want to come check the space out and connect with any of the people there, give me a shout and I’ll show you around the space sometime.

2 Likes

Just for alignment, Winter Field Day is January 25-26 in 2020. I think you are a week early.

Metrocrest ARS, Dallas ARC, and Irving ARC are doing a joint Winter Field Day at the Farmers Branch Fire Administration and Training Center on Hutton Rd near Valley View. It’s a bit tight with three clubs - not sure a fourth would squeeze in. But all are welcome to visit. Approximately noon to noon.

Kevin N5KRG

I checked with The Lab and it doesn’t work out time wise, or “running wires through the lobby and out the front door to a commercial parking lot” wise. But I really liked there was a restaurant a couple doors down! So convenient.

Yes, I fixed the post.

I agree, three groups in one small space can be quite a squeeze, not to mention trying to coordinate who’s on what bands, with what type of antenna, and minimizing interference so it’s enjoyable for all. Last year we were also looking at a joint event, but when I had asked about adding 2m SSB, which doesn’t interfere with anyone else, I was told in no uncertain terms that they have a plan, and no deviation from the plan was acceptable, so we struck out on our own.

We ended up at a Plano Parks conference center with me on SSB and a CW op and that’s what we did for WFD, and only on Saturday. We didn’t try to operate overnight or on Sunday. We lucked out that someone else had already rented the facility into the evening, so it was already going to be open late, and already paid for. This year, not so much.

We believe we have a possible location, a connection at a facility that may let us use a party room. And that’s how a lot of these things happen, through connections, I know someone who works at whatever firehouse, etc. They become the liaison to securing the otherwise unused room for the duration of the event and oversee things so everything is proper. Without those connections, it ends up being a bit more challenging. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My initial thought was the Ham Radio Outlet, but it was so obvious that you must have already tried that.

If DMS does not work out, you may try fire stations or apartment club houses.

HRO wouldn’t work because there’s no space inside the retail store, aside from their demo isle. And the impetus of Field Day is to set up in a temporary space as if there was an emergency and it’s not an existing setup.