Planer issues or is it me - s/b good as of 7/30/21

I’m sure it’s me but…. Came in to use the planer today. Had a 12x18 cutting board I was trying to smooth. It really got hung up. Had to turn off machine , raise the head to get my board out. Thought it it might be that particular board so I tried another and got the same results. A member came over and mentioned he was having troubles with it yesterday and have to use the right side for the feed to work.

I’ve used the planer many times and have not had issues like this.

Thoughts?

Theirs a curved surface somewhere, it maybe be a discrepancy between in feed and out feed tables or it may be the boards, which it honestly could be both but next time im in I’ll use the best straight edge at dms(a long piece of milled aluminum I found in the metal scraps a while ago, but it’s milled perfect, cause problems with other straight edges like levels is they can easily be knocked out of being truly straight so it can cause issues when adjusting some of the tools if it was done using a straightish edged a straight edge, but I’ll take a look tonight tomorrow and see what’s up

Was it end grain?

They’d know really fast if it was end grain, the knives would have caught and cause a massive kickback, I saw a guy do and end grain through a small 12” on a video and it shot the cutting board back 2ft and snapped the nives like peanut brittle

hard maple and walnut

I think the planer needs some TLC - the boards seem to get caught as it discharges, it also seems intermittent.

2 Likes

When I align the table I’ll whip out our leveling jig too and make sure the heads perfectly parallel and I don’t know when I was last done but I’ll oil it as well

2 Likes

Was this completed? I was hoping to use the planer this weekend

Yes, The planar was aligned by @got_tools in the last few days.

@got_tools worked on it yesterday I think.

1 Like

Awesome, @got_tools always knocks that stuff out of the park, sorry I hadn’t been able to even make it to the space in the past couple weeks, but if he did the tables and then made the cutter parallel with the table rest assured that things gonna be bang on perfectly accurate
Sorry @IanLee I meant to reply to @RandyK

1 Like