Picnic Hot Dog Eating Contest - who's in?

Howdy, who wants to participate in a hot dog eating contest at the picnic?

Please follow this link to sign up https://goo.gl/forms/bgKWQOqsaCyBiTX62

@Photomancer found/made up some rules:
Major League Eating (MLE), formerly known as the International Federation of Competitive Eating (IFOCE), has sanctioned the event since 1997. Today, only entrants currently under contract by MLE can compete in the contest.

The Makers stand on a raised platform* behind a long table with drinks and hot dogs in buns. Most contestants have water on hand, but other kinds of drinks can and have been used. Condiments are allowed, but usually are not used. The hot dogs are allowed to cool slightly after grilling to prevent possible mouth burns. The contestant that consumes (and keeps down) the most hot dogs and buns (HDB) in ten minutes is declared the winner.

Spectators watch, make fun of, harangue, and cheer the eaters on from close proximity. A designated scorekeeper is paired with each contestant, flipping a number board counting each hot dog consumed. Partially eaten hot dogs count and the granularity of measurement is eighths of a length. Hot dogs still in the mouth at the end of regulation count if they are subsequently swallowed. Yellow penalty cards can be issued for “messy eating,”[1] and red penalty cards can be issued for “reversal of fortune”, which results in disqualification.[1] If there is a tie, the contestants go to a 5-hot-dog eat-off to see who can eat that many more quickly. Further ties will result in a sudden-death eat-off of eating one more hot dog in the fastest time.
After the winner is declared, a plate (1) showing the number of hot dogs eaten by the winner is brought out for photo opportunities.

*we probably won’t have a raised area unless someone wants to drag some palettes out.

1 Like

For how long?
stupid20char

1 Like

Rules usually state “immediately after” for the “reversal of fortune events” to DQ a participant. Once the hand of the winner is raised, anything goes (and most of it, i hear, usually does).
I have to say, I think 10 minutes is too long for this amateur competition. I’d do a 5 minute one, or so… But i’m probably a spoilsport and won’t be eating, so as long as everyone is of age and agrees to the rules…

All that I recall changing was “contestants” = “makers” and the description of the table on raised area.

Main reason to know is how many hot dogs to buy. They will be the standard 8 per pound dogs, not quarter pounders.

1 Like

Should we have a men’s and women’s division or weight class divisions. Our “all comers” one class.

Can you tell who is the artist in the group?

:heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Count me out for the contest. However, I’d like to make a trophy to give the winner. I have plenty of cedar that makes for a great trophy. If somebody wants to use the laser to engrave it, we could have quite a prize.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Thank you!

Someone (I think it was @Photomancer) suggested a 5-minute duration … I think part of the logic was that people are less likely to get sick.

I also think that the audience would be more likely to be retain interest for a 5-minute event vs. a 10-minute event; especially if you have more than one division.

Is this an individual event, or committee teams?

1 Like

I favor the 10 minute - so the sprinters vs endurance folks can battle it out. But 5 minutes is wanted, no problems.

I think individual events works best - more chance for competitors.

I favor a pie eating contest personally :star::star::star::star::star::star:

1 Like

10 minutes is a long time for an amateur hot dog eating contest.

Two separate events:

How quickly can you eat seven hot dogs?

How many hot dogs can you eat in five minutes?

Fiddle with the numbers.

1 Like

We need people to volunteer before we start filling up on rules.
Find participants!

PS I’ve decided to fill talk with artwork/makerprojects that I love. Here’s my fake-art-girlfriend Louise Bourgeois with Cell II by far one one of the most wondrous powerhouses I can imagine.

A pie making contest would be amazing. I wouldn’t enter because I still remember trying to make a crust from scratch for the county fair but I would be happy to help taste pies… :grin:

1 Like