Picked up free pine wood

Saw a post for free pine wood on Facebook marketplace and thought why not! Any good ideas on projects with these aside from the usual side table with hairpin legs?

Beginner to woodworking and have just been attempting to self-educate via YouTube. Would love to hear any input about this type of wood and all the fun I can have with this

3 Likes

These are going to be wet which means if you shape it into something now it will crack as it dries.
It can take years for wood to dry out properly before its usable.

These could be bowl blanks in which case you would rough turn them ( basically turn them into a bowl shape that is way too thick) and then seal the end grain with a wax paint and then store them to dry.
Once dry you would turn them down to final shape and finish them.

2 Likes

I had good luck saving the turnings from the green bowl I made, then packing the turned bowl in a trash bag with the shavings. Left it to slowly dry for six months, then completed the turning. No wax/paint/sealer used since I was striving for a live edge bowl and didn’t want paint/etc. on the bark.

3 Likes

@Lloyd_Plum might have a kiln that could speed drying of those, for a fee.

Alternatively, if you shape them into something now and they do crack later, you could fill the cracks with a colorful resin and make it part of the design.

If you have multiple pieces, drying one and forming the other while green could be an interesting way to get hands-on experience with how moisture affects the wood.

2 Likes

That is correct. If you’re interested, shoot me a PM and we can talk price.

2 Likes

When you’re drying out the wood, do you have to be careful of the bark and/or splinters? As potential fire-starters, that is.

No, my kiln stays below 140F which is way too cool to start a fire.

1 Like

This was my thought or you could make something awesome and just let the natural shape take course. Very fun practice at the least bit the resin idea is awesome!

1 Like

If it’s green pine, there could be sticky sap flowing through it, too. I would have to do more research before elaborating.

You might be better off with a hardwood if you want to build it out for anything other than wood turning, or take @Lloyd_Plum up on his offer of a kiln. To find some wood to reclaim, just drive around different neighborhoods near bulk trash pickup days. You can usually find cut trees, and even extra milled lumber that people didn’t use for home improvement projects.

1 Like