Pick and Place Machine Needed

Howdy!

I’m looking to build an SMT RGB LED light cube, and would rather not manually place 1000+ components.

I remember the desktop pick and place DMS once had being reclaimed by the owner due to lack of use.

Are there any plans to buy/build another?

Failing that, does anyone know of a small pick and place machine that I might use for an afternoon?

Thanks for reading,
Evan

2 Likes

Now that we have more room I would love to see that thing come back. I am starting to do more projects at work where access to such a machine would save me a lot of time.

1 Like

I have a Quad 4C industrial P&P I am willing to donate to DMS.

Actually, more like 1.5 since I have a second machine that is non-functional and could be stripped for other projects. It has some SERIOUSLY large capacitors, steppers, gantrys etc… :slight_smile:
I also have a 4 zone oven I am willing to donate along with the Quads.

The machines are about 1.5 meters cubed in size, and I currently have them in my garage so they don’t take up TOO much space (more than my wife would like though!!)

I haven’t used it in a while, hence why I am prepared to donate if DMS is interested.

I offered the Quad a while back, but there wasn’t much need for one previously and space was limited.

Now, this machine was manufactured in 1996, so is not the easiest to setup, although there is an upgrade package to make life a lot easier. I never needed the upgrade but as I say, it takes a bit of setup and can be a little temperamental sometimes.

I have scripts to take pick and place data from Protel and KiCad I think, but adding other formats should be trivial.

Component pickup data is entered into a spreadsheet and the script process that in conjunction with the P&P file to generate machine data.

I would need to train someone on the procedure and the machine nuances since I don’t think I will be available too much to help train others at regular intervals, but that might change when I get some free time :slight_smile:
the oven works great and is about 1M x 2M in size and needs 240V. The Quad only needs 110V.

Anyhow, thought I would throw that out to DMS.

BR,
Steve

6 Likes

We had one a few years back. One member figured out how to use. No classes were taught on it and no one else showed interest, so it was returned to its owner. While the ELab has more space, space is still at a premium. 1m x 2m is a rather large footprint - and that’s just one part from your list. And currently there are no plans for 240vac (actually 208vac).
Other concerns::

1. Classes - this would be ongoing. Certification to use?
  2. Not interested in the ELab becoming someone’s production facility. Other committees have had to deal with this.
  3. Ongoing maintenance and parts availability.
  4. Theft and vandalism are ongoing problems. The current PCB Mill rebuild came about because someone stole the stepper motors and cntrl brd off the gantry.

While it would cool to have the bragging rights, right now it’s just not practical.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. 1234567890 . . . and other characters.

1 Like

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Super nice of you to volunteer to donate cool technology! Definitely an example of why this community is so great. :slight_smile:

Sounds like there might not be enough demand and space at the Space yet for such a cool machine, but I’d definitely be interested in checking it out. I had a summer job programming PnP machines, so it would definitely be a fun indulgence into nostalgia, at least.

Will message you soon!

Hey Art,

Thanks for the reply. Definitely some good concerns here.

I’ll look for some alternatives, like maybe offering a class in exchange for some student labor.

Another question: has ELab considered a desktop multifunction device like the Squink?

https://www.botfactory.co/page/product

Seems like it might alleviate the space and manufacturing concerns (faster than hand assembly, but not optimized for manufacturing).

Classes and theft/vandalism would still be an issue, but I could commit to teaching at least a few informal classes to train other trainers.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the reply!

What sort of projects are you working on, and what features would be most desirable for you?

Evan -

I’ve never used one so I can’t say on features. I just know it’s a PITA to hand place tiny little resistors and capacitors. I can generally handle SMT chips okay.