Photography & Printmaking Q's

Hi there!

I just recently graduated in May with my BFA in Photography and minor in Printmaking and had to move back home to the DFW area because of COVID-19. I was looking into places around DFW that had facilities for photo and/or printmaking and stumbled upon DMS! I know that since y’all moved you don’t have a dedicated “darkroom” room…however I wanted to see if someone could tell me a little bit more about the dry darkroom that y’all have and any other photography equipment/space as well. Leaving school, I lost my community of fellow artists and it’s really taking a toll on me. This seems like a great place with a lot of passion and kind people. Other than photo, I do have a lot of interest in printmaking too, it was my job as a Print Shop Monitor at my school for around 3 years, so I’m familiar with printmaking processes (lino/wood relief, etching, stone/plate lithography, screen printing, solar plates…) and also am willing to help out where I can. I’m currently interning remotely for a non-profit, but I would want to help out where I can at DMS too if I became a member! Thank you in advance and I hope everyone has been staying safe 'n healthy!

4 Likes

I’ll page @Hardsuit here, as he’s a pretty serious printing guy (and he knows the rest of them).

I do know that they block all the light out of one of the interior classrooms when they’re making the screens for the screen printing. That’s all I know, though.

5 Likes

Thanks, Beth! I appreciate that!

4 Likes

@GeekGoddess was instrumental in our original darkroom. I’m sure she could provide some answers of what we no longer have, versus what’s still doable at the space actual film wise.

2 Likes

There are some large tank bodies in 104, no reels that I saw. No idea where it lives :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Thanks, Doug! & Hi, Nicole!

Right now I’m not planning on doing any silver-gelatin printing (I love it, just don’t have the $ to buy paper right now) for the time being, I’m mainly trying to process the leftover b&w film I have…ranging from 35mm, 120mm, and 4x5. I would love to print in the future, but like I said, no money to go towards it at the moment. I have my own scanner, and am basically just trying to see what I have left in my rather…intimidating box of film that has yet to be processed. If there’s the ability to darkroom print, I would be all for it.

I do have my own 2-reel tank for developing, and I actually have a random color chemistry kit as well, but am a little hesitant to develop any color by myself. I was taught how to work in a working black and white darkroom, from literal start to finish, but we weren’t taught C-41 development since only our photo monitors were allowed to use it and learn (would’ve been nice to learn, but I worked in the Print Shop instead.) Basically, any kind of space that DMS may have, I would deeply appreciate. I was warned about losing facilities and community, but I had no idea losing the community would hurt this bad, emotionally and physically, in terms of losing equipment and facilities. I basically lived in my school’s printmaking shop that was around the corner from our photography department, where I would spend a lot of time too.

Funnily enough, I think one of my uncles actually used to be a member of DMS for Robotics–my mom just told me. Depending on what others say, and I must say, I am very excited and feel a little more reassured now that I found you guys, even though I am not a member (yet! I may just have to become one to at least be around other creatives!! You all seem really nice!), it is nice to know that there are some friendly people here back home. :slight_smile: That being said, and knowing myself, I’ll probably join soon. I have some equipment that I wouldn’t mind bringing in, if someone else needed it, like the scanner. I also have some other random supplies I acquired from 4 years of art school that would probably serve someone else better than me at this point. I read that DMS has a little shelf for people to leave things that others may need. What a great second-home you’ve all created together! Thank you so much for helping!

@Nagyk has taught a few film processing classes in the past. But it’s been a good while.

2 Likes

We usually roll the drying box and exposure unit for screen printing into the lobby conference room and do our emulsion coating and exposures there. Can’t really speak for any other photographic processes at our current location, and wasn’t that familiar with them back at Ladybird.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Hardsuit.

So is it mainly just screen printing that goes on? Or are there other print processes that people are working on? I do less screen-print than the other processes that are out there.

1 Like

We have a small etching press, a small manual letterpress, and a large motorized letterpress in addition to the screen presses.

We’ve taught block printing, laser etched block printing, and could handle most intaglio processes that don’t involve caustic non sink-safe chemicals.

2 Likes

Thank you for that info! I’m still waiting to hear back about what DMS has for photography/dry darkroom situation. I’m thinking the best bet would probably be to come by and have a visit soon, so I could see the space. Should I put a comment under the Tour thread instead of this one?

To the best of my knowledge there isn’t any traditional chemical photography gear setup at DMS, and I’m unaware of anyone doing darkroom work other than the screen printing setup.

Kurt @Nagyk might weigh in if we ask nicely…

1 Like

Lol. Currently on vacation with limited internet but I’ll respond more later!

1 Like

Paul (Hardsuit) has the most extensive knowledge of what we’ve got in that regard. While we might not know the full extent of what’s available in areas we’re not really involved in, if you’re looking for more than what Paul told you, we don’t have it.

In some ways, folks doing the tours might be less knowledgeable about some nuances than Paul or I am.

While Kurt may be able to tell you what he’s done at the current location, we haven’t had a regular photography darkroom since we moved out of the Ladybird location.

1 Like

In regards to DMS and any traditional photography, the classes I was teaching on developing b&w film was about it. There is no darkroom space nor a ton of interest in it. Developing b&w film ‘at home’ is extremely easy, even color film, and requires minimal tools. If you want a one on one of how I do it, we could do a short class. You don’t really need a dedicated darkroom unless you plan on printing. It’s possible to cart stuff up to DMS to develop but to me, that seems pointless as you can easily do it from home. Printmaking is an entirely different matter that I’m unfamiliar with. I do traditional photography related printmaking (Cyanotypes, Gum Bichromate, Platinum/Palladium) but DMS printmaking is more wood block, screen printing, etc etc.

3 Likes