Photography feedback? What about the Nikon 1 J5 Mirrorless Camera?

It all started years back with a Nikon FTN, then an 8000s and most recently a D80.

I’m thinking it’s finally about time to upgrade again.

My kid is going on a big trip soon, and I’m exploring relatively petite options that travel well, but give the kind of creative control and expandability you can get with a full-up DSLR.

The Nikon 1 J5 caught my eye, as did the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 and DMZ-FC1000.

Then I noticed that an adaptor can allow the Nikon 1 J5 to keep using the museum of Nikkor lenses I’ve been collecting.

Can anybody share any experience with these cameras? Any chance that with a newer (albeit smaller and higher res) sensor, that the Nikon 1 J5 could start to approach the D80 performance?

Thanks!

ps. sorry couldn’t choose between Digital Media or Creative Arts, so posted this here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been a Nikon guy since forever. I have a D7100 right now, after having owned a D7000, D90, D80, D50, etc. But last year I purchased the Mirrorless Olympus OM-D E-M5, and then upgraded that a few months later to the Olympus OM-D E-M1. it is hands down the best, most flexible “cool” camera I have ever owned. I rarely pick up the Nikon anymore. My primary camera is the Olympus and the Nikon is what I use for my infrequent backup requirements. The only thing I wish the Olympus had that the Nikon does have is a second redundant SDHC memory slot for security.

1 Like

cool thanks -
By the way - what about these micro 4/3 lenses? Have you tried any of the Nikon F-mount adaptors to get more lense mileage?

I would hope that the Nikon J is way beyond the D80.

If you have the money, Sony’s full frame mirror-less is as good or better
than the D800 in terms of sensor quality and can be adapted to take the
full history of Nikon glass.

1 Like

No, but I might have to give that a try. I have quite a few Nikkor lenses. Another thing about the Olympus is the fantastic 5 axis stabilization. It’s almost surreal how you can look through the electronic viewfinder and purposely shake the camera and see the perfectly stabilized image move with the viewfinder perfectly.

1 Like

Steve - you talking about the NEX-7 or the Alpha A7 series?
I saw the Sony A7-S at CES earlier this year - it’s low light abiltiy was unbelievable. They had a small room sized booth lit only with about a single candle’s worth of light, yet the A7-S was able to get really decent resolution and color from some feet away. Unfortunately we’re probably aiming for under $1,000 in this round…

Def. talkin’ about the A7.

1 Like

I really like mirror-less cameras as well. I built a setup a little while back for my sister. I would suggest just taking the leap and buying the correct lenses for the camera instead of converting DSLR lenses, not just for quality reasons, instead for form factor. The mirror-less form factor lens tend to be much smaller and lighter than their DSLR counter parts. So you get to keep the portability that you are wanting by buying a mirror-less camera. These are full on professional cameras now of days and can server many years without issue, so go ahead and fall in love with one. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks all for the feedback!

I like the features on that Olympus, and the full sized sensor on the Sony A7. But somehow the Nikon 1 J5 fit the bill for this round. I think it’s a little easier purchasing mainly for one’s kid than oneself, or I’d have been leaning towards those others…

Anyhow, I’m looking forward to playing around with it - it’s due in Thursday…

Thanks again!

1 Like