[Philosophy] Do we exist?

I went to the philosophy meeting at the space a while back. I had a great time.

The next meeting is July 11th 7pm in the Conference Room.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6566

Here is a list of ideas about why we don’t exist in the way we think we do.
It might make for some interesting discussion and as we have a regular meeting for it… see what happens

1 Like

Yeah, Philosophy back from hiatus.

1 Like

So, i love philosophy but just about everything in my experience comes down to

The shere notion of existence or anything is a construct of our own making. Words have no true meaning other than what we place upon them. Even that is it not true that we all perceive through tough the very notion of anything and even at the quantum / molecular level there is not even the notion of a thing. Only the notion of semi-toroidal forces moving though out eleven dimensions of what we colloquially call space-time?

1 Like

But if I were to punch you in the nose and tell you that your pain is a construct of your own making, would that be a very convincing argument? :wink:

well pain and pleasure both originate from the same place in ones mind and even that can be overwritten by other processes internal and external to a self.

I guess my point was that philosophy isn’t just about trying to explain life, but also how to navigate it.

We could act on the idea that it’s all an illusion, but at the end of the day whether or not it’s real is less important than how we react to “the simulation”

1 Like

Very true in that and for one I greatly agree with the Stoic Sages and several of the Buddhas. Of course there’s still a bit of nihilism in their teaching and a brain in a vat view of the world doesn’t subtract from the fact that there is still wisdom in how to navigate life or even the fact that we live.

In fact t complements it. the Stoic nature its self is one of nihilistic like ethics and morals. Being that one is to break down what is in one’s power and what is not then though the will of one’s own self manage that which is in one’s power (ie the self) and build meaningfulness from there.

Buddhism as a the philosophy, not the religion we commonly associate as part of Sangha , does this as well in breaking down social truths and looks to the source of the conflict in people then defines the “noble truths” the most basic of all conflicts and precepts that one can break things down then presents a path to resolve that within the self.

Noah and Solomon has also attempted the same with the ten commandments, confucius also has been noted in history for such endeavors.

There for could one say that once one goes from explaining life and logos then one starts to transverse from philosophy into theology and over time the practitioners turn it into thaumatology which even further in time only is there to protect their dogma instead of the original goal of explaining and navigating life?

1 Like

Thanks for teaching me a word, I had to google thaumatology!

Whenever someone mentions nihilism I think of this meme.

3 Likes

I rant
Therefore I rave

3 Likes

that reminds me…

nihlist stoic

1 Like

Of course if we’re going to discuss modern meta philosophy then I’ld like tos say that Illwillpress is one of our times better philosophers and critics on society.

edit: hopefully someone picks up on the metaness of the thread and my posts;)

1 Like

Could we startup some form of philosophical/ethical debate or meetup?
I was just yesterday daydreaming of having such some sort of a class.
Id love to have an opportunity to learn/convince another('s/of a) interestingly difficult ethical view, or any some such topic worthy of discussion and debate!

@Narkane, we do have a SIG for that and they’re listed on the calendar as “Philosophy Meet-Up”. I think the last one we had was in april so its about due for another.

1 Like

@Narkane@denzuko … I listed the next meetup time and a link to the event page in the first post ^^^

It should be a regular thing

3 Likes

I should bring up 2 points regarding the philosophy meet-ups -

There is one rule - no googling in the meeting.

And secondly, bringing any actual philosophy texts to the meeting hasn’t been well received in the past - this has been a discussion group, not a philosophy study group.

1 Like

I’m a product of my environment.
Of which you are a part of.
Thank you for your contribution…

Tis amusing how many folks go into some state of denial when told this. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I think that sounds wonderful. Googling subjective matter seems ridiculous to me anyways

1 Like

Exactly!

Plus, the Philosophy meet up allows you to appeal to the social and ethical norms of the room rather than the world which is another great part of the group. We like to say what is said in the philosophy meet up stays in the philosophy meet up. Not because bad things are said, rather we allow the consideration on new or challenging topics without the constant threat of apartheid from the group as is constant in our current culture.

2 Likes

Yaaas!
All the time i find myself self-filtering because of this!
Which is a shame because often in order to make a large change that matters something very far from our comfort zone is usually one of the few remaining realistic options not yet already attempted, imo.
Looking forward to it!

1 Like