Pen press broken + Gold Paint

Hi Turning Friends, I though the pen press was working again, however, I wasn’t able to lower the handle. It is in the drawer, but malfunctioning:

Also, I accidentally got gold acryllic paint on the pen mandrill and one of the centers. I couldn’t get it off with what I had with me. I can come back with acetone tomorrow if it won’t damage the equipment:

Apologies for the inconvenience.

1 Like

I believe we will need to order a whole new pen press. Just fyi though, you can use a trigger clamp in a pinch to manually press your pen parts together, just make sure you use a block of wood on either side so as to not damage the soft pads of the clamp.

Re: getting paint or super glue, or anything on a pen mandrel. Something light like paint shouldn’t really hurt it, but a fast way to remove it is install the mandrel without anything on it, and use a 600 or higher grit sand paper to very gently take the foreign materials off.

2 Likes

The pen press is not repairable - The casting attached to the wooden base is cracked. I’ll be looking at the a previous recommendation for a replacement.

Steve - is correct in advising high grit sandpaper - if you choose to use acetone or another solvent I’d suggest using it sparingly with a nylon scrubber type pad.

2 Likes

I believe I can be by this evening and will bring sandpaper. Thanks, @prl2018 and @Lordrook

1 Like

Hmmm. That sounds like a challenge.

9 Likes

Do you accept the challenge?

I’d be glad to hand it over to you! My metal skills end with JB weld unfortunately! If you’d have the time to take a look I’ll put it in the annex outside the wood shop with your name on it. Many thanks!

2 Likes

Just whack the pens together with Molly Mallet. That’s how I’ve done my last 30 or so.

1 Like

Guys, slight change of plans. I am not able to be there tonight, but I WILL deal with the gold paint as soon as I’m able to go (this week).

I will have the press repaired tomorrow. I happened to have a very similar part in my personal storage. The only difference is mine was moonwalker version vs the non-moonwalker version. M8x1.25 vs 5/16 18. I’m going to pick up some 5/16 threaded rod tomorrow. I would have single point threaded some but I couldn’t find any 3/8 rod to do so.

6 Likes

Wow! Thanks Tim!

2 Likes

That’s awesome Tim, thank you!

1 Like

Good as new. 500 grit sandpaper did the job.

4 Likes