PCDS Continued (Persistent Cat Deterrent System)

I bought a couple of compressed air deterrents to keep our cats out of a room. I picked up two of these:

PetSafe SSSCat

The PIR sensors do not seem sensitive enough to catch my black Cat… He’s too fast and has learned to hurriedly jump passed the cans…when he isn’t so in-tuned with the setup, the sensors catch him, and it’s an effective deterrent. It works by the PIR sensor completing the circuit when it sees the motion (temp change across sensor regions, etc.).

I need something more sensitive. I’d prefer to have this trigger from either BlueIris motion detection, or directly from an IP camera using the output pins. I have not used output pins before. Is there an easy way to replace the leads on a PIR sensor by using an IP camera to complete the circuit? Or will I need a micro controller, having the micro controller compete the circuit while listening or looking for output from the camera?

This will be my first electronics project aside form making an LED blink or a minor sodder repair…go easy on me :wink:

Here ya go …

Although your response is the typical, unhelpful response I’m used to receiving on DMS Talk, I’ll admit the video was pretty good. (Really like the laser eyed cat). That being said, I do appreciate you didn’t recommend I use Google, or provide me the top 10 search engine results as-if I hadn’t already put forth that minimal effort…

I think what can be gleaned from the video is that sensor placement can be important. You might have a slower wider range detector but placed in such a way as the timing is correct and within the range that can deter. He took a wider range detector and narrowed it and pointed ahead of the expect path and water… Then you might lengthen the deterrent blast as well to cover more speed ranges.

For a black cat an ultrasonic sensor may work well, if you can place it to minimize impact from the refresh rate.

The more in-line with the cat’s entry the better, as quick motion is less likely to fall outside of a sensor frame. You can, of course, combine one with an existing sensor.

Not every response is going to be helpful, here or indeed anywhere you go.
Talk is not a help desk but many do endeavor to be helpful. It is not a requirement.
Sometimes humor can also bring relief or inspiration to people.

1 Like

I used to have cats that liked to be on top of dressers, etc.

I would make “tape landmines”. That means a round of packing tap stuck to a post it note. The cats had a hard time removing them and it was self incriminating too.

You might try a dragon’s tooth path to slow the cat down.

I like the ultrasonic idea too.

Best of luck.

This statement can be viewed as lumping everyone who posts in talk, regardless of what level of ideas they may have into the less than helpful category. If you are going to ascribe motive to talk users, you risk them also reading the most negative interpretations if your statements, and checking out, even if they did have a good idea.

@Draco - I appreciate you suggesting sensor placement is important. I assumed pointing it at the wall in the opposite direction of the entry path would get the job done. Thank you for your feedback.

@hon1nbo - thank you for the feedback on using an ultrasonic sensor. Would you also have feedback for my question of swapping out the PIR sensor with the alarm outputs on an IP Camera using motion sensing to trigger an event? Using the IP camera, I get far better range, accuracy and precision for sensing the motion.

@Draco - thank you for clarifying Talk is not intended to be a HelpDesk. My question did ask for help on how to use the item as it’s intended, but more of a Maker style question of how to replace a component, e.g., replacing a PIR sensor with an IP camera using output pins to communicate triggered events.

@Diplomat - Thanks Steve. We used double sided sticky tape in the past on the kitchen counter. It worked phenomenally well…but then ruined the counter top when we tried to remove it. It’s hilarious to watch them get surprised when they accidentally step on it.

@zmetzing - thank you for your material contribution to the discussion. Could you also offer feedback for my question of how to replace a PIR sensor with the with the alarm outputs of an IP camera using motion sensing to trigger events?

@kbraby - You are not wrong…except for the portion that implies “typical” means “everyone”. And, as I made my initial snarky reply to @Draco, I contemplated the response I would get and assumed the risk of turning off those who might actually help.

I hoped I would find others to join my cause in expressing the opinion that when you reach out to the community for advice or help, it’s often irritating and unhelpful having people reply with answers that don’t address the question…it’s also a little rude and disrespectful…at that point, your selfishly using the discussion for your own purposes. Often times the replies that are attempts at humor (or even just showing one’s rear end) are taking the conversation off topic, which then your just wasting the author’s (and readers’) time. If you don’t want to help answer the question, pass it up instead of trying to be funny. It also deters us who want to help or offer assistance because the conversation gets lost with all the off-topic replies.

So… all that being said, I’d appreciate help with my question. I also understand if my monologue turned off those who might be able to help, and that’s okay as well…

Original question: “Is there an easy way to replace the leads on a PIR sensor by using an IP camera to complete the circuit? Or will I need a micro controller, having the micro controller compete the circuit while listening or looking for output from the camera?”

Additional clarifying information - I’m not interested in using water to wet the cats, electricity to shock the cats, trying additional ways to re-position the sensor, trying again to point the sensor directly at the cat, checking to see if the batteries are working, ensuring the cans have pressurized air or euthanizing the cats. And if you’re response is to challenge my clarifying questions to show how you are more clever than me, I challenge your self-restraint to keep from submitting your reply :wink: And I fully expect the challenge to fail…prove me wrong!!!

Assuming you can process the image fast enough that works, but you need to account for that time in your deterrent sprays.

@hon1nbo The IP survelleince camera does all of the processing in real time. It will then send a signal on the alarm output. The PIR sensor seems to do the same, and regulates the timing and completing the circuit to send DC current to the motor that depresses the valve on the can of compressed air.

If it’s real time then that sounds like a good solution; how is it’s low light operation if the room is lights-out? Framerates consistent in that mode with the lowered shutter speed, or does it just blast the heck out of the room with IR?

All of my IP Cameras are top notch with solid performance.

So these could be really simple. PIR sensor modules usually take power, and put out an active high signal when triggered. The modules usually have adjustment for how long to stay active when triggered, and a jumper setting that determines if additional motion restarts the timer before it has finished. Mechanically, these are often a mechanical gear motor with spring return. And I wouldn’t be surprised if all that exists beyond the basic PIR sensor module is a resistor to limit base current, an NPN transistor, and the motor. So the length of your active high signal determines how long the can sprays, if it doesn’t have a single dose metering valve built in.