Paypal and CA - headaches mixed with a goose chase

So I popped off on everyone about payments to CA for printing. https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/printer-rage-pay-up-sucka/15714/15While I still believe I’m in the right for screaming like a crazy woman, I have spoken with two on the S-list that submitted payments via Paypal but didn’t put any indication of payment in the black box.

Please y’all. Pleassssse. Fill out a slip/envelope and place it in the box with your login/date/indication of what it’s for. I don’t have access to the paypal payments- without that slip I have NO understanding that you paid until someone else double checks. While the slip/envelope system might seem labor intensive for you we really need it to make sure the spending/costs are balanced.

1 Like

Might have Steve reiterate that in the training class . I looked through my notes and I don’t believe we talked about doing that if you PayPal . I know when I printed months ago I just sent the payment and did not realize the importance of the slip.

In at least one case, the person that did the printing and the software logged was not the person that paid. When you pay you can put a memo: e.g. 3 ft Wide Format Paper

Just that solves mucho problems.

Duly noted, When making the buttons in April/May, I just payed PayPal without dropping a note. I will most certainly drop an envelope in the box with notations.

1 Like

Hey Nicole, another thought on this… If printing/vinyl cutting/etc is done for a committee area (like making signage), I think they’ve been allowed to do that without paying the material fee right? Would they still need to fill out an envelope for tracking purposes?

good point PR has been leaving notes - it’s nice because we can track usage of items - but vinyl is free for DMS usage.

2 Likes

That was me. Glad you could decipher the message. It wasn’t written well.

1 Like

I speak all sorts of code- blinks, psychic messages, and sometimes scraggled handwriting.

I have been wondering what happens if I pay for materials (dye sub sheets, vinyl), put a slip of paper in the box and then slowly use it over a period of many months? Are you able to track it or will it look like I didn’t pay when I use it months later? I don’t want to get on the S-list! I should have paypal receipts but having to dig them out and show them sounds like a headache for everyone.

No we can’t track it and you shouldn’t use it as debit/credit system.

If you put $100 cash in the envelope and then proceed to use the vinyl cutter or other stuff over the next few months, on camera it would look like you only paid for one use, and then never paid again.

1 Like

That’s not what I mean. For example, I paid for 5 sheets for dye sub a long time ago because you have to buy 5 sheets at a time and I have not printed on all of them yet. What if I pay for vinyl, which includes the transfer paper, cut the vinyl, take it home to weed and then bring it back to apply the transfer paper? I don’t mind paying twice if that helps with the paperwork because the prices are cheap, I was just curious about how this is being tracked. If it helps to pay twice, I would rather do that then have to dig through my e-mail for paypal receipts. I don’t have a lot of spare time.

If you pay for materials, you should take them with you (if possible). Otherwise as Pearce said, it will look on camera like you are consuming materials without paying. We don’t have a way to take such items.

We only track the $ contribution made so we can credit it to the proper committee.

I took the dye sub paper with me but it’s my understanding that it logs when I actually print on it. From what I remember (my class notes are at DMS), you buy 5 sheets of dye sub paper in a folder - the paper cost pays for the paper but it also pays for printer ink. It’s not a ton of money for my small projects and Creative Arts is awesome so I had already planned on paying for the paper a second time to avoid any problems.

If you’re coming in with Dye Sub paper it’s evident that you paid for it at one point. We are good.

2 Likes

Thanks!! I just didn’t know if you were going off of printer logs or the camera primarily so that answers my question. It’s not enough money that I care either way, I’m more interested in saving time for everyone. :slight_smile:

with the sub dye stuff, we would be looking at the camera and the print log with username, so yeah it would probably save you the trouble of having to defend yourself and finding the records of payment if your name popped up on a list.

i know it may seem like a hassle to pay each time, but it makes it easier on the volunteers when they have to go through the daunting task of camera footage scrubbing and then checking the print log

edit- nicole says its cool, she posted while i was typing.
is ink for the dye sub covered by paper?

1 Like

Yes, I can’t remember what you are supposed to do if you bring your own paper though. I don’t want to make a big deal over a few $ because I like donating to CA anyway, I was just curious about how this is tracked and what can I do to help make it easier to track.

I do have info on who prints to which printer from that computer via your log in. Our only issue has come up with the large format.

1 Like

Dye, transfer paper, tape, and spray adhesive. All bundled for a simpler consumer experience.

1 Like