Patch Making Class?

Thanks Chris!
I know how I will be spending my Friday afternoon at work… Pressing F5 and looking at the clock :rofl:

4 Likes

Class is on the calendar now.

1 Like

Woo!! and I’ve signed up.

Is there interest in a patch specific class?

If you think patch making itself is specialized enough then I bet there is. Would need to determine if attendees must have taken the sign off basics class first though.

1 Like

Yes! But, at least for me, basic use of the machine is a must.

1 Like

Dang I missed it!! Full.

I’m hoping to approach @John_Marlow about doing a Teach the Teachers class sometime after 4/17, and not on a weekend. I took the class once, but didn’t proceed to a project, so of course parts of it are spotty in my brain.

Right, @tombakerftw?

1 Like

If (and that’s a HUGE if) I were teaching a patch class, I’d be inclined to include basic ops within the class. Running the Babylock is more complicated than the regular sewing machines, but I include basic instruction in any sewing class I’ve done.

Patch making class …

Due to the time that would be required, I don’t think it’s practical to combine the two things into something that would be usable for anyone who hasn’t already used some other brands of embroidery machine.

DETAILS:

If you already have a design for a patch, then it could be a five minute discussion attached to the “using the Babylock” class.

The bigger issue is programming your own image to make a patch, which, of course, is what everyone wants to do. I have beta-tested (with extensive feedback) a version of the “how to program embroidery” class. This is about a 2-hour class without any embroidery machine operations included. I’ve revised my course material and I’d be willing to teach it again (beginning sometime in May because I have some travel coming up). [EDIT: this will prompt a volunteer opportunity because I will need about 15-30 minutes of someone’s help to get my computer hooked up to the screen in CA]

This could be done and it would add about 30 minutes to the programming class. However, while it would be sufficient for people who already know how to use a different brand of embroidery machine, IMO it would be insufficient for someone what has never used one. I have taught the Babylock class both as a lecture/demonstration and as a hands-on. While the demonstration was heavily attended, it did not increase the number of people actually using the machine, therefore I conclude it was insufficient. When I teach the hands-on, it does increase the number of people using the machine. It takes about 2-1/4 hours to get four attendees through the hands-on version.

1 Like

This may be a silly question, but is there any significant difference between designing a patch and designing a regular embroidery file? (other than a stitched outline?)

A professional designer would probably say yes, but with the tools we have available the practical answer is no. A patch is a simple appliqué with stitching in the middle of it.

1 Like

I really hope I can catch this when you teach it again. If there’s flexibility it’d be awesome if there’s one in the later part of May.

As a professional designer, I approve of this assessment.

1 Like