Patch Making Class?

I would like to learn how to make patches. I know sewing basics but haven’t ever used an embroidery machine. Is there anyone who could teach me, or ever better, teach a class on it?

1 Like

Paging @John_Marlow :blankspace:

1 Like

Making patches requires two things … designing/programming the patch, and then stitching it.

The good news is that (at some point) I could teach those things. The bad news is that I broke my right foot and I can’t drive. It’s likely to be several weeks until I can get to DMS without dragging my hubby along.

If you have a time-sensitive need to embroider something (like a downloaded embroidery program), maybe someone else who knows how to use the Babylock can show you how …

2 Likes

No time-sensitive need, just think it would be interesting to learn. Is there a program you recommend I get to design the patches? I don’t mind teaching myself that part on my own before getting trained on the Babylock

Edit: Also, oh no! I hope it’s not too bad. I broke my ankle about a year ago and it was no bueno and no fun. Sorry you’re having to deal with that.

We own SewArt64 at DMS. It is on the CA computer that does not require a log-in (facing the wall between the large flat files and the vinyl cutter).

Go to the Tools listing on the wiki, scroll down and click on the page for the Babylock machine. Read that page, focusing on the section called “Designs”. There are a couple links to tutorials on how to use SewArt64. (There is also a link to a detailed document on how to use the embroidery machine).

If you want to play with it from home (and you have a Windows-based computer), you can download a free 30-day trial of SewArt64 at the manufacturer’s website. It functions exactly like the real one except that it only allows you to save three layers of stitching. They will all show in the programming listing so you can play with it, but they wouldn’t transfer to the embroidery machine.

EDIT: Inside the instructional document for the machine, there are also a couple links to patch-specific information.

7 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the info

1 Like

I’ll second a request for this class.

2 Likes

Ditto.

I am required to post a certain character limit

1 Like

Yes a class would be most appreciated…

1 Like

Just a question, but could the babylock also be used for sewing on standard sized boy scout patches if you created a file with a stitch pattern around the perimiter of the patch? I have about 40 merit badges to get sewn on. They are just a 2 in circle.

I don’t initially see why not, but @John_Marlow might be able to answer with more certainty.

I too want to make patches so I’m replying to remember this thread. thanks.

1 Like

Easy Peasy! It would take a little bit of experimentation to get the stitch sizing you want but that’s easy.

You would use the appliqué feature. Appliqué automatically generates three layers of stitching, all in the same place; the marking layer, the tacking layer, and the border layer.

Since they will all be in the same place you will want to experiment to determine the size you want for your circle. I’m guessing the patch already has satin stitch around the border and you probably want your tacking layer inside of that. You will probably also need a slightly heavier duty needle. Embroidery is done with ball point embroidery needles, BTW.

The first layer is a basting layer called the marking layer. It shows you where your appliqué (patch, in this case) will go. Then you position your patch over the marking layer, and it stitches the “tacking layer”. That’s also a basting layer that holds the item in place. I would use either spray fabric adhesive or a tiny piece of double-sided fabric tape to keep it in place while it tacks into place. The third layer is the border layer. You specify what kind of stitch you would use (blanket, satin, etc.) and the stitch density and length. In your case, I would seriously consider using a bean stitch (which looks like a running stitch), again just inside the patch’s current border.

6 Likes

I am also needing some patches made but am at step -0 on sewing anything in my life let alone embroidery. I have a design (really just name patches) for work that I need. So I am also interested in some lurnin! :slight_smile:

I’m interested in a class too. I’ve got a Bernette 340 Deco at home that I can use but I seem to have trouble getting things hooped appropriately for patches so a class would be good, even if it’s not for the same machine.

Clearly there’s a big demand for training on the Babylock.

I would be more than happy to teach classes on this once I get trained.

Is there anyone besides @John_Marlow that is willing to do some training?

2 Likes

Yes, please. I am actually excited about this possibility.

I’m still looking for basic training on the babylock as well :slight_smile:

Chris was laid up with a broken ankle and now she is hip deep in othr
DMS work

I am sure she will get a new class up soon

I have queued up an embroidery machine class. It is scheduled for 7pm on Wednesday April 11. It will not be visible on the calendar until late afternoon on Friday.

@HankCowdog … PM me.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is not a patch-specific class. It is specifically how to use the Babylock embroidery machine.

11 Likes