Parking Lot Cats

Hey guys, I’ve noticed two cats that hang out in the parking lot lately. Looks like a mama cat and her 1year old kitten. I’m wondering if anyone is taking care of them or if they have been TNR’d (trapped, neutered, and returned.) If not, I would like to take it upon myself so they’ll be safe!

-Maya

4 Likes

You want to tnr them and pay for it? Usually they have an ear cropped.

If no one agrees to get them fixed, I could potentially do it at the end of the month when my schedule opens up and I could take them to TCAP.

1 Like

Well I work with a couple rescues, so yes… a lot of places do it for free. I haven’t noticed their ears tipped. Has anyone else?

2 Likes

Recent discussion/tnr efforts:

No idea if @dryad2b Beth was able to get any of them in or not. Kind of hit a peak period for my busy, so loaning the trap (which didn’t work out) was about as involved as I could get at the time…

3 Likes

Oh thanks for the Thread @jast ! I had no idea other Makerspace members were getting involved, thats awesome!

To be clear… I just want to TNR + Vaccinate them, not put them down or domesticate them. They don’t seem starving or sick so I’m sure they are ok. I just don’t want them to have kittens and start a colony with the warm weather.

It doesn’t sound like anyone has rounded them up yet, so I’ll figure it out. It would be pretty cool if there was a committee to take care of them, but first things first… lets get those kitties safe!

8 Likes

Last i heard, mom and kitten were trap wary. I’d guess they are too well fed from park dumpster.

1 Like

They don’t have to go to the dumpster when they get hand fed cat food out front.

4 Likes

Someone has been trying to trap a cat at a neighborhood school near me for over a year. Dang cat sleeps in the trap when it’s there for “get accustomed” time, as soon as they bait it to trap the cat, the cat wises up and stays away. :smiley:

Not disagreeing, the person feeding them has tried trapping them lol

When the discussion was going that @jast referenced above, @dryad2b had begun feeding them, as it was getting really cold at night, and nobody was really sure of their circumstances. I walked out the front door one evening was Beth was coming in with a bag of cat food, and both of them doing little kitty happy dances as they followed her back towards the building.

1 Like

Current situation –
Son has been neutered.

Plans – current batch of kittens was born 3/20. Do you know the recommended age for trapping the kittens? I don’t really know. If one is giving away domesticated kittens, 6 weeks is recommended, but I don’t know what the best age is to trap feral kittens, as I assume that they would want to go ahead and neuter them then. I’m hoping Mama is trappable. I only put out the one trap when I got Squirt…

4 Likes

YAY!

Back when I did this regularly, ANY TIME YOU CAN!

We had a vet that would do them at 6 weeks if you could get them and they were from a feral situation…
If they’re younger than that, they might be tamable anyway, if someone is so inclined (sorry, my house is still full…)

we all are!
:crossed_fingers:

And thank you, @MayaXKiwi for bringing this back up!

2 Likes

sewing stuff handle becomes super relevant.

1 Like

Generally, you don’t want to trap kittens until they are at least 4 weeks (once mom is done nursing.) The younger, the more likely they can be domesticated and adopted. But yes, 8 weeks is recommended because it is easier to operate safely.

I’m happy to team up with you or anyone else to help the kittens. I’ve fostered over 22 bottle-babies!

4 Likes

Sooooo… kittens are… ummm. 6-7 weeks old. I’ll try to get my traps lined up for next week. I’m pretty sure I’ll need an extra trap for Squirt, because he loves food. The trapping was pretty traumatic for him (when I took him to be neutered), so there’s that, but he loves food.

Anybody familiar with snagging the kittens? 2 weeks ago I’m pretty sure I could’ve just grabbed them, and only needed one trap, but they’re bound to be quicker now.

4 Likes

Okay, folks –

Who has traps? I’m figuring I’ll need 4 or so? 1 for Mama, 1 for Squirt (he’s been neutered, but he might be lured back in with food because he’s always ready for food), and 2 for any kittens.

2 Likes

Just a recommendation from previous experiences. KFC brings even the most cautious cats to the traps.

3 Likes

Idk how fast they bounce back but two cats were having some serious sexy time last week