Paragon kiln tour

Members of the GlassWorks committee had a great and informative tour of Paragon Kiln company today.

The Highlights are,

Paragon receives their fire brick in bulk then cements them together For the walls, top, and bottoms of the kilns. The coil channels and shapes are cut on programmed routers CNC.

The metal kiln exterior shells are cut on plasma cutters that are about twice the size of ours.

They are planning on selling 2 of their plasma cutters and moving to a coated metal being cut by laser. Both processes are currently being used.

This laser is 7-8 ft tall, I am guess about 20 long.

The Paint area - they do not use powder coat.

They have a wide assortment of colors offered on preorder kilns some of the colors are blue, teal, pink, plum.

Other pictures taken of the assembly process

At the end of out tour we came across this very tall slender kiln. Our thought were thin commercial vases, Nope!

Paragon has partnered with the Made in Fire tv show. This kiln was created For annealing swords, @Team_Hatchers may want to look into this. :grin:

It was a great field trip followed by Lunch at Olive Garden.

Anita Willis
Glassworks Chair

11 Likes

Thank you so much for organizing this! I had a great time :slight_smile:

1 Like

My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail…

3 Likes

Wow, what an interesting tour! These kinds of events is what makes DMS an amazing place full of interesting people and projects.

1 Like

Sorry Josh

1 Like