Pan of oil under the machine shop work bench

There is a pan of some type of oil under the machine shop workbench which has been partially spilled at least once now. while the spill has been cleaned up, the pan of oil remains. Anyone have a good way to dispose of this?
We’ve got a blue barrel full of oil, old cutting fluid, scuzz. Anyone know why we couldn’t / shouldn’t just pour it in there? Someday when that is full we’ll dispose of it properly. but until then, I don’t see why not adding more to it would hurt. Send me your thoughts.

That pan of oil has been there for awhile, I do not know where it came from. Next to that pan is a tray of nuts and bolts that go to the HASS tool changer for the last 10 tool positions.

If I recall correctly @Photomancer said it was coolant from the cold saw.

yikes. let’s make sure we don’t lose that.

If it is lubricating oil, then I suspect it can be disposed of at any auto parts store as “used oil” in their safety-kleen vat. If it is coolant, can it be absorbed into cat litter and disposed of as a solid in the dumpster?

If it is the one I’m thinking of, it isn’t the the light green color of the current cold saw coolant.

I always thought it was used motor oil. It’s been there forever.

I just collected all the HAAS tool changer parts and put them in a plastic container in the locked cabinet. Also mounted the vise, 3 jaw chuck, and quick tool changer to the Sherlines.

2 Likes

if someone can definatively say it is coolant we can add it to the blue barrel of death. If it is oil,
we need a container to hold it until the next city hazardous waste disposal day or to someone can swing by an appropriate drop off site. it’s pretty dark and looks like oil, so we can always err on the side of caution. we just need to have it stored safely so we don’t get a toxic spill.

I seem to recall being told it was oil from the cold cut saw or HAAS.

yes, I’m thinking it is old hydraulic oil. it’s too dark and viscus to be cutting fluid. we just need to find the right container for it.