Paid restoration of slot machine

Howdy folks,
I have a friend who needs a slot machine restored. I don’t have the slightest idea about gambling but he said something about it being an authentic balley’s slot machine and he is willing to pay a fair price to have it restored. Is this the right place to ask?

Here’s a pic of the machine

@Team_Vector

I’m not familiar with the art of slot machine restoration, but it’s possibly something we could take a look at. What exactly isn’t working?

Also we’re more of a collaborative entity to facilitate individuals interested in learning about repair & carrying it out for themselves. There may be someone willing to contract a resto job, but I bet most of us have way too many projects going on for ourselves as it is. :stuck_out_tongue:

The battery usually is what goes bad and causes the slot machine to stop working. The two I fixed over a year or two ago just needed the batteries replaced and I had to get a reset chip to get mine going. They were IGT. Not sure if the one you have is IGT or Bally Williams without doing a little research. There is a bunch of info out there on the older model slot machines. I was able to get the new battery and reset chip from eBay.

Between my full time job, helping take care of my parents and working on my own workshop and projects I have absolutely zero free time to take on anything else at the moment.

Greg Higgenbotham of Legacy Entertainment does arcade, jukebox and I think also slot machine repairs if you decide the repairs are outside your abilities.

2 Likes

He wasn’t too specific, I don’t think he’s very acquainted with electronics. But I am, and I’m willing to learn if anybody is willing to offer their guidance. If so, should I just tell him to bring it up to the space? Or do I need to arrange for a corner of the vector area to put it or something?

I’m guessing it’ll need to be on a table, correct? This is probably a first that I can recall :wink: most things have just lived on the ground (being pins, jukeboxes, player pianos, etc.)…

Our existing tables are for tool chests and splaying out project parts temporarily. The circular table might not be beefy enough. Here are some options:

• Bring a small table to set it on while it’s at DMS, since I bet the slot machine is quite heavy
  • We could potentially move the stand-up table in front of the TV into the slot next to Split Second, adjust it to an amenable height, and set the playfield rotisserie on it somewhere else.

Have you sought any advice or suggestions on it from anyone?

Not sure what my near-term availability is gonna look like, since I flouted the CDC recommendations and thus should get tested before I see anyone anytime soon.

Slot machines weigh between 200 and 300 pounds. Very heavy for their size. The round table is likely not up to the task of supporting the weight near the edge. Only the two matching workbenches are rated for that amount of weight.

1 Like

Have you sought any advice or suggestions on it from anyone?

No, I was hoping to get some suggestions here. And over the past day I have just officially become swamped with work stuff, so I’m definitely not gonna be able to afford the time to fix it myself. If you know anyone who would take a paycheck for fixing it, please let me know :slight_smile: thanks

2 Likes

Ah, interesting, because there was someone asking about slot machine repair on Facebook like a week ago… Here’s that thread in fact: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dfwpinballclub/permalink/3697133780337999

To summarize, Craig Hassell likes to fix IGT slots. Mike Mallory doesn’t mind working on other electrical types. There are several Facebook groups devoted to helping people fix them, including this one https://www.facebook.com/groups/335981553265504 One of these groups may have someone local who’s willing to work on them.

Best of luck!