Oxygen propane torch

I said in the meeting that I had checked

Here it is

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/is-an-oxygen-propan-torch-allowed/23186/2

1 Like

This is talking about hand held size, like we already use. Those are ok. I was thinking you were talking about much larger bottles like this.

oxymapp_oxypropane|300x225

Wouldn’t we get acetylene if we were getting a bigun

Because we can’t store them at the space. And the largest that’s easy to move is a B-tank size setup.

I figured. Work says the same…I’d just imagine oxy is just as much of a liability so in for a penny and all that

If we end up doing anything that really needs to use a lot of oxygen
the best thing is to get an oxygen concentrator, These are the same
machines that are used for folks needing oxygen, When they no longer
need them they can not be resold for human use, but they work fine for srt
instead, A lot of glass bead makers use them

That is what I use at home. The only thing is that they are not great for extended use.

Acetylene is particularly dangerous, in that even without the complementary oxidizer, it can explode. You can have a clean regulator correctly installed, and just opening the bottle too quickly can actually cause enough pressure impulse to set it off.

Oxygen is a risk for igniting any fuels, like oil, especially if put on the regulator or threads, but you can’t cause what is still in the tank to detonate.

I don’t believe there was or is any restriction on storing oxygen because it is not a combustible. It supports combustion. The big problem with the flammable gaseous is they are heavier than air and can accumulate on the ground or low spots and won’t disperse like O2.

That said, you don’t want to store O2 next oil or highly flammable materials. Not sure what the volume of O2 the concentrators produce in a free flow state or at a usable pressure which is probably inches of water and not psi.

From what I have seen, the O2 concentrators usually support small to medium bead making torches. Much less than you would need for a MC size OA set. I think some of the larger beadmaking torches need two concentrators to run, and are almost enough to braze 3/8 copper pipe. And if their output pressures are measured in more than inches WC, it is likely single digit PSI at most.

1 Like