Oxy-acetylene starter recommendations

If you go with Acetylene 4-5 psi will do most you need. A rosebud would use about that. I can’t remember anytime I had it any higher.

Planning to go with propane, per photomancers recommendation.

And the fact that storing acetylene makes me nervous…

Are the pressures different for propane, or similar ?

I have mine in my garage. In fact I have a B tank & MC tank in my garage.

Pressures wise, I’d just look at the flame to tell. That’s how I normally do it.

10 psi for propane and propane accessories, bobby!

I guess I could go hook mine up & see.

Buying a used tank: make sure it is within it’s service date stamped on the shoulder or you’ll have to pay to have tested before they will fill it - and no guarantee it’ll pass.

If you are going to go Oxy Propane I would recommend you buy Oxy propane torch kit You’ll be able to connect up directly to your propane tank and torch set up propane. Also you’ll know the regulators are in excellent shape. You probably have to buy your oxygen tank, I’d recommend the Q size tank IIRC is 80 cubic feet. They are large enough to hold a fair amount of gas but are manageable in size for a stud like you.

Propane requires more oxygen, about 3X+ compare to acetylene (fuel to oxygen mix). Based on what you are planning it should last a while. On smaller tanks you’ll almost pay as much for the “fill fee” as the gas. Tanks that I have that I bought when I go to Metroplex they just swap my tank for theirs (and some cash) - like you do propane. Advantage you’ll always a have that is in hydro-test cert.

For brazing and glass work, propane is a good choice - but you can’t do welding

2 Likes

I have a small oxy-acetylene brazing rig that might be for sale or loan…

1 Like

Sent DM…

1 Like