Oven(s) with 0.5 degree C precision in 35-40 degree C (95-104F) range?

Hello Makers,

Does any committee have an oven with 0.5 degree precision in the 35-40 degree C (95-104F) range? I’m looking to test the response of a prototype sensor for a potential contract. Greatly appreciated.

If no committee has one, any suggestions on where to find or how to hack such an oven?

Eric

1 Like

This is not a direct answer but could help monitor the temperature. I teach classes and use Arduino and ESP8266 microcontrollers with various sensors. We use the DS18B20 temperature sensor which has +/-0.5C resolution. You would need a more accurate sensor but some are available. Here is a live plot of the Blitzen laser cooling tubes for the last 24 hours. Let me know if I can help.
https://thingspeak.com/apps/matlab_visualizations/218521

2 Likes

You might be able to get the re flow drawer in electronics to work. But, it warms unevenly and isn’t all that nice.

Also, you should describe your perimeters better. What kind of .5C accuracy do you need? Do you need an oven that will not go over a set temp by more than .5C, but is allowed to have lower temp cycles between heating cycles? Do you need an over than can maintain a temperature within .5C no matter the heating cycles? Do you need an oven that doesn’t vary in temperature across it’s heating surface area by more than .5C? Do you need an oven that heats in increments of .5C?

1 Like

If we install the fan and put the new SSR’s on the powder coating oven in the metal shop, it should be able to hold that precision with some tuning specific to that temperature range.

2 Likes

How about any random oven and another sensor that’s accurate to 0.5C?

Science has at least one oven with 0.1C precision and that’s probably what I’d look at first for something like what you’re describing. Although if you’re testing the response to changes in temperature, it may not change fast enough. What sort of sensor and response are you testing?

1 Like

Oh duh on my part… the cell incubator. Hahaha… embarrassing. I’m not used to thinking of a cell incubator as being used for anything other than cells and cultures. This should definitely work in conjunction with @bpamplin’s and @halachal’s suggestions. Thanks guys

1 Like