Outdoor Camera Recommendations

We have several of the hikvision 2342 cameras here at DMS.

Yep, It’s this topic again. I looked around & pondered at a few options. Looks like I’m probably going to have to put together my own system. Yep it escalated, someone attempted to steal my trailer. I have always had 2 locks on it. One tongue lock & a cheap HF pin lock. Tongue lock was broken off & the pin lock was just bent. I have already replaced my tongue lock with one I made out of 1/4 plate, Double layered.

I looked at the Nest IQ, however I’m not a big fan of paying for another subscription. That brought me to look around at other systems, including this one from Swann
https://www.nfm.com/swann-8-channel-4-camera-indooroutdoor-wired-2tb-dvr-surveillance-system

However the fact that I could not find much information on it bothered me. Essentially makes me think that they are playing the lawyer game & making folk that post negative information about a specific product get shut down. Googling the brand I came with more warning signs than I care to ignore.

So what I’m thinking is doing POE cameras, either Hikvision or something similar. I cant be spending a grand on 1 camera, the wife & kids don’t like Ramen that much. My primary focus is 30-40 ft in front of my house. I do have a street light but people have been known to knock it out from time to time. So I would like to see good detail, I’m thinking like a 5m camera.

Then bring it into a NVR of some kind if its built or bought is still to be determined. I haven’t got to far into build vs buy option here.

2 Likes

Super Circuits in Austin,Tx has a big selection of high quality camer’s & recorders with 3 year warranty’s… Over the years I bought many brands & Super Circuit camera’s beats all by a long shot, very easy to see the difference.

https://www.supercircuits.com/

How about

coupled with

The lights have their own motion sensor which activate them and the cameras can be programmed to start recording when the lights are triggered.
Free cloud video storage(downloadable) if you have 5 or less cameras.

For outdoor cameras there is a big difference between outdoor and under the eaves versus mounted on a fencepost.

Even fairly well sealed cameras will get moisture in them with direct rain and wind.

I’d also recommend using dielectric grease on the wet side connectors if you use POE, even a tiny bit of moisture and the leakage current will eat away the contact fingers.

The only issues I’ve had with the less expensive Chinese made GW metal ball cameras have been moisture related. Greasing the connection stopped that problem. Splitting the case halves and greasing the o-ring may have prevented the eventual moisture ingress into the housing.

These are the ones I have. Heat doesn’t seem to be an issue, even on a fence in direct sunlight.

I’m fairly happy with the cameras, less so with the DVR. Be wary of how their viewer works on the DVR, some use plugins stuck in the pre-security days and can’t work with modern browsers…

1 Like

Here’s a pretty decent guide I came across today. It seems pretty brand specific in some parts, but I generally agree with it’s recommendations.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1yAKfH5S62ehVsPruZKDxD7C95qTPCj-e/view

1 Like

Super Circuits has this DVR that can take all types of Camera’s , & 3 Year Warranty…They’re in Austin,Tx … The Software, both Base & mobile (CP ) has lots of features …

DVR:
Hybrid+ is an advanced technology for security DVRs that supports HD-TVI, HD-CVI, AHD, CVBS and IP cameras. This hybrid+ security DVR comes with an IP camera finder tool that allows you to find, configure, and connect to a compatible 1080p IP camera to add to the configuration.

https://www.supercircuits.com/4-camera-ir-hd-tvi-system-wl-h8421tx

You can get an older Dell i7 for around $200. Install Blue Iris on that. Get a PoE injector or switch.

You can read a lot about this on ipcamtalk.com.

The brand the guy that runs that site recommends is Dahua. There’s a seller that can get them at pretty reasonable cost they will point you to in the forums there.

1 Like