Out of town weekend breakdown - what do you do?

I’ll keep this somewhat short.

Stan and I were on a road trip towing my car trailer to Kerrville sat after work. An odd intermittent noise - (more of a hissing noise than a grinding) surfaced near Hico (on our way to highway 281)…pretty certain it was from the AC Compressor so we opted to continue on without the AC - the noise seemed to “go away” (at highway speeds) and since it was late on Saturday night - I thought once we at our destination - I would take care of whatever the issue was.
It was a good plan…
We stopped for fuel at a wally world in Marble Falls and the noise was very audible - in a bad bad way. What loud part failing noise is ever good on the road over 200 miles from home?
Stan called (yes called - poor wireless reception) the local hotels…all had no vacancies on this Memorial Day weekend, except one that was 1.4 miles away…so we checked in - two beds in the only room left.
Sunday morning Stan’s friend drove up from Kerrville and picked him up and left.
In the daylight I could see the ac clutch bearing had failed. I always take a tool bag with me on a road trip…O’Reilly’s was a short walk across the street (I would do this walk 4 times).
Bought a new clutch and a pair snap ring pliers ( based on Stan’s You Tube video - it was retained by a snap ring) this would be an easy hour fix…apparently “my” clutch bearing failure didn’t match the easy you tube one.

This is a pic of the AC compressor clutch bearing plate and cover that had failed - which has to be removed. There is an 8mm bolt holding the cover on, easy to remove. The bearing plate has an external snap ring - not the easiest to get out, but doable after turning the wheels to the right for a little more access. The problem was sliding the pulley off the hub of the compressor - not happening (not like in the perfect video of course).
In order to gain access for the “free 2 arm puller rental” from O’reillys, I had to remove the air filter housing, misc covers, radiator, intake snorkel, expansion tank - all to have room to get the puller on the bearing plate, and stuck it was. Note the purple gloves are covering the ends of the transmission cooler lines from dirt and debris.

Sunday turned out to be hot and humid then the close in lightning and heavy rain shut down my operation on the ride of a road under a large tree. Still managed a sunburn.
Monday afternoon we drove back to DFW.
My options were slim - either figure out how to repair it myself with the tools I had with me or what?

Basic costs in the end : 2 nights in a hotel, a pair of snap ring pliers, roll of paper towel, WD40, ac clutch, serpentine belt, 2 gallons of coolant, good exercise walking to and from the parts store.

noted during this experience - my radiator is starting to seep coolant on one end tank - so a new radiator, hoses and thermostat are in my future. Also to put hand cleaner in the road trip tool bag

11 Likes

Sounds like a bit of a trial. I’m glad you guys got back ok.

2 Likes

Sounds like a normal, rememberable road trip. You’ll be telling that story for years to come.
Glad it all worked out…

Man…you are crazy smart with engines and stuff! In same situation I probably would have died of exposure or starvation or angst or something.

1 Like

Had a similar failure while tooling down PGBT in the old truck. The compressor itself, which had been complaining with intermittent squeaky/squealing noises, decided to lock up completely. This tried to stop the serpentine belt, resulting in a loud screeching and noticeable load on the engine.

Fortunately for me, turning off the AC switch released the clutch and I was able to drive it home sans cool air.

Good job on the roadside repair!

1 Like

I did stop for a break Sunday afternoon due to the heat and humidity and being an old fart. You know it is time to stop when you stop sweating and start dropping tools more than usual…
After 90 minute water and cool air break - it was back to it…then the lightning and the downpour came. I enjoy watching a good lightning storm - but this was too close - called it a day and finished up Monday morning before the heat (but did watch the start of the F1 race)

3 Likes

I was wondering if you could have bypassed the busted a/c pulley and just run a shorter belt.

I won’t say impossible, but the non-a/c equipped vehicles apparently used a completely different setup, with the tensioner rotation the other way and contacting the belt on the other side…

Glad you guys made it back instead of perishing on the high dessert.

We’d miss you around here.

3 Likes

Andrew - that thought had crossed my mind. But for this and many vehicles that use a single serpentine belt system - an “AC delete pulley and bracket” are necessary if already equipped with AC. It replaces the AC compressor with a free reeling pulley.
Oreilly could have ordered it - but it wouldn’t arrive until Tuesday afternoon(not an option).

2 Likes

Cheap enough to have one on hand in the case of future issues?

You’d have to remove the compressor - to replace it.
If I was going to that length of work - I’d just replace the comp with a new one.

I used to have a Ford Fairmont and the solenoid for the starter tended to
go bad, I got stuck at a gas station around 8-9 one night in Waco, I knew
what it was so I headed for the Wall mart on the north side of town, Before I
there driver with a Wall mart semi stopped and asked if I needed a ride, I told
him what had happened and I would love one, Got the solenoid and as I started to
leave the store the manager stopped me because he had found me a ride back to the
filling station ! Got back, pulled out my screwdriver and I was back on the road in
less than 30 min, After that I just kept a new solenoid in the car, it was less than $10

I had my tensioner pulley go bad on my Excursion in August, not quite out of town but I didn’t have tools on me. Bad thing is I lost powered brakes, alternator , of course power steering & water pump. This happened on 35 & 635.

Probably the worst was on our way from Grand Junction back to Moab the loss of brakes on the tow rig. That was hairy.

Ah, I was thinking along the lines of “I’m 50 miles from nowhere” scenario.

I suppose there are a number of unrecoverable failures that you just have to go with the tow truck option.

You could limp it home if only you didn’t need that pesky water pump. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Panty hose make great emergency belts for that…

Go Hydroboost!
Do you REALLY need power brakes on an Excursion? :laughing:

I think you mean “panty hose and prayer MIGHT suffice for that…”

Done any work on the Hydroboost master cylinder? Mine is weeping… :frowning:

Yeah and the power steering fluid (ATF Merc) puked all over the engine bay when I lost said hydroboost.

Never had the pleasure.

That’s “normal”. It’s hydroboost. You’d cry, too.
/kidding
seriously, though, is it the master cylinder (brake fluid) or the hydrobooster (power steering fluid)?
The master cylinder, as far as I know, is just like a vacuum boosted one. If it’s the hydrobooster, I’m really out of my depth; never had to touch one of those. Really the only cars I’ve worked on with them were Lexus, and I’ve never seen a failure. I’m sure they’re out there, but I’ve not had to fiddle with one.

I believe that’s called “adding insult to injury”. \gameshowhost NO POWER STEERING! NO BRAKES! no water pump…and oh YEAH! BURNT OIL STENCH AND SATURATED OIL PUDDLES FOR YOU TO LAY IN WHILE YOU FIIIX IIIIIT!
/gameshowhost
(do we have a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubeman! emoji?)

1 Like

Hope it’s not leaking brake fluid. That stuff will kill paint rapidly.

1 Like