[OUT OF DATE] - NEW *** IMPORTANT *** Lasers will not work UNLESS you do this!

Each laser has been equipped with a “light switch” toggle to power on/off the blower (and soon the cooler).
In order for either laser to work, the switch MUST be “on” for the laser you are using!
If it’s not “on”, the laser may appear to be working (it may move; but, it will NOT fire the laser).
Even if the blower is already switched “on” for the ‘other’ laser, it MUST be “on” for the laser you are going to use.

More details?

• There is only one blower.
  • Each switch can power on/off the blower.
  • Each laser must have the blower (and soon the cooler) powered “ON” by the “light switch” for the appropriate laser.
  • If someone is already using one laser and the blower is ‘on’ for that laser, you still MUST power ‘on’ the switch for the laser you will be using (otherwise, when the other person stops using the blower, your laser will no longer run…).
  • Don’t forget to turn the ‘switch’ “OFF” for the laser you are using - when you are done using it.

I have been advised pix will be posted tomorrow to show exactly where the new “light switch” power toggle buttons will be located.

• If you have QUESTIONS about this process, please post in this thread.
  • If you experience any ISSUES or Problems (with this process - or any other Laser Committee equipment), please send a detailed e-mail message to: [email protected]

Thanks!
:smile:

7 Likes

On a related topic, what happened to the big kill button on the FS laser? Turning the key in an ‘emergency’ seems to be a little more complicated than hitting a big stop button…

See this… [RESOLVED] Full Spectrum Laser Is Down (PSU Issues)

1 Like

@paulstaf and others that don’t want to click into another thread, @lukeiamyourfather posted on May 31st that the e-stop button broke and a new one would be ordered. No updates since then.

I took the laser basics class a few weeks ago, and just started using it today. Found it with emergency switch triggered. A passerby said that I’m supposed to use the emergency switch when I leave.

I’m just slightly confused. The signage on the machine says NOT to use the emergency button as the on/off switch, but I am baffled about whether using the official on/off switch. I honestly cannot recall what state to leave the laser in.

Thoughts?

this statement is false. the estops should not be used as on/off switches

3 Likes

Hi David,

I’m sorry for the confusion. As Pearce said, I think that member was very uninformed of proper laser use. The E-stop button is for use if there’s an emergency only, such as a fire or something else that could cause immediate damage to the laser. When you’re done with your job, (I’m assuming you’re talking about using the Thunder Laser) just remove your material and clean up any debris, turn off the blower using the light switch, close out of programs and log out on the PC and you can hit “Esc” on the laser control panel to close out your job, but that’s not required. No turning the machine itself off.

Looking back at this old post it does have some information that is outdated, so thank you for posting to bring this to our attention. I’ll review and contact Lisa about if we want to update this or close this thread and start fresh.

If you need any other help feel free to ask here or through PM. Thanks!

I had the same thought, and I’m glad to split the new posts into a new thread if you’d like. The other information is two years old.

1 Like

Thanks Chris! Hope to get yall something on this tonight.

1 Like

I am going to close this post (at Merissa’s request). Some of the information in it is outdated. Merissa is going to write updated information and I’ll pin that at the top of the laser category.

@stltcom and all:

There was a brief period where some classes were being taught to use the estop to power off an old laser that we no longer have due to a malfunctioning power “switch”… As far as I know that has never been the case with any of our current lasers. Please see Merissa’s post above for current instructions.

Chris has already unpinned and closed this thread. I’m going to mark it “out of date” at this time.

Merissa, when you post new information to be pinned, please mention (“tag”) @Team_Moderators so we will know to pin it. Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like