Oscilloscope Measurements Class

Can you please record it?

Typically all input chnls have common gnd. Remember reading / being told to use only 1 gnd connection to the ckt you’re working on. More interesting / difficult question - is the probe input gnd tied back to the AC gnd? Easy enough to check w/ continuity test. Probably does not matter in most cases - however I do remember someone using the isolation transformer to pwr the scope while working on a ckt. This was before ELab moved. Don’t recall what the project was.

Going down the rabbit hole…
https://www.masterflex.com/tech-article/fundamentals-of-floating-measurements-isolated-input-oscilloscopes

https://cleverscope.com/products/CS448
1 Like

$9600 for a CS448?

We could smoke 30 Rigols for the price of 1 Clever Scope. So far, E-Lab is way ahead on that bet.

It’s OK. ELab has large heavy iso transformer.
Not very portable.
Trick is knowing when ya needs it. :smirk:

Maybe a fringe topic, but the importance of short grounds when measuring digital signals with fast edge rates. Makes the difference between a signal that appears to be ‘sick’ and one that’s close to textbook. It’s not the frequency that counts, but the edge rates (rise/fall time).

1 Like

Maybe not the fundamental frequency, but the high frequency components VERY much do matter.

Those are what make waveforms more pointy.

Fun With Fourier Transforms…

It’s the high frequencies in a pulse that make for sharp/fast rise/fall times, which was my intended point (that I didn’t convey clearly). Yes, Fourier and all that stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Conveyed clearly:

Assuming a high usage of SBC and microcontrollers amongst Makerspace users, I would think this topic is not a fringe topic, is rather topical, and could easily be covered / explained in the context of oscilloscope usage / operation.

2 Likes

@Russell_Crow:: Thanks for the excellent oscilloscope class. Really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Very much appreciated!

2 Likes

It was good meeting you, and I can’t wait to hear that Synthesizer.

2 Likes

Great meeting you, as well. I did get the synth running after the class yesterday. Idiot me forgot to take the batteries out and things were groady with battery corrosion. I found that the batteries that were in it were from 1997! D’Oh!

I’m gonna be at DMS later this morning and early afternoon. If you’re going to be around I’ll bring the synth in and you can play around with it if you’d like.

On a side note, if I may in any way be of service to help bring that fusion fuel device into reality, please do not hesitate to call on me. One of my goals is to build a small thorium reactor (molten salt, but I’m sure you know that already), for safe reliable power generation. When I was a contractor for Sony Development in Burbank (Sony Entertainment’s R&D division and almost totally made up of Disney Imagineers) they gave me the official title of “Useful Texan” when they sent me to tradeshows with the rest of the fulltime team.

Thanks!

1 Like