OS/2 Warp is alive

Looks like its back and runs on modern systems…

Who’s up for an OS/2 hackfest at the space?

2 Likes

I know I have a few OS/2 books buried in storage that I was about to toss. Do you want them?

I also have a few boxes of assorted old computer hardware, programming and OS books all from pre-Windows XP era.

1 Like

Speaking of that era OS, I wonder if I still have a copy of BeOS running around.

1 Like

Ah! Memories…

Warp was the king
but windoze made the cut
what could have been

i have Beos and some manuals, including the BONE

1 Like

Why does it not surprise me that someone at the space would still have that.

:slight_smile:

Love BeOS and OS2. If either of you guys are looking for a place to donate those old books and software I’ll be glad to five them a home and a little new life in the interactive museum.

1 Like

I will comply. thankyou

1 Like

Naw. By the time IBM … uh … got their head into the daylight Microsoft was already well on their way to delivering a good quality NT with portability from Windows 3.x. I said it then and I’ll say it now: supporting the '286 was just plain stupid. Flat memory model baby! Flat memory model! (Though I do actually like segmented model for isolating memory / heap related bugs.)

Even if IBM had made better decisions regarding OS/2, in the long run Microsoft having Dave Cutler on board would have sealed IBM’s fate.

Huh. That surfaces yet another not-touched-in-a-long-time memory. This is a good book…
https://www.google.com/search?q=soul+of+a+new+machine

OS/2. That brings back annoying memories. For example: the installation dialogs required both a mouse and a keyboard. If one forgot to bring the mouse when delivering a new computer one would be royally screwed when trying to install the operating system on the new computer.

Wait… That never happened. Windows Neanderthal Technology was never actually viable, let alone “good quality”. Nice Try…

1 Like

I may have a set of Warp OS/2 floppies and manual.
Will check if you’re interested.

Will check if you’re interested.

No need to check… the answer is already YES :slight_smile:

And here I thought I was the only one who believes that.

1 Like