Opinions about heat press vinyl

Something small but I wanted to get thoughts. Heat press vinyl (for clothing) will be a nice addition to our offerings in the ca room. It works with the vinyl cutter and the new heat press we just got in.

I have two options I’m looking at $50 difference in the two. 10" or 15"

I think 10" would be fine as you could easily go long with your graphic. But I wanted to ask and see if anyone had strong preferences. This stuff works on fabrics and leathers (probably more as well).

Give an opinion of you want. I’ll order by tomorrow. @Adam_Oas @bitta

2 Likes

I will mention this will be a “pay/donate” to use item.

1 Like

If only $50 difference, I’d say go for the bigger one. It’ll do smaller projects but not vice versa. That is unless the bigger one is a lot bigger physically, then storage is an issue.

1 Like

Kewl stuff!

It looks like these come in rolls - pretty much like the other vinyl that we have… Just that the tube itself will be either around 10" wide or 15" wide - which by the looks of the vinyl holder, I don’t think it will make any difference at all (unless the plan is to put two 10" rolls on one rod?).

It also looks like price-wise, the price per square inch is pretty close with either option (unless my math is wrong… ???), which means - unless doubling up on the vinyl holder rods is going to be an option, it really doesn’t make much difference in respect for the price…

My guess is it really boils down to what size transfers most members will be making… There are advantages and disadvantages with both options - depending on how you plan on using the vinyl.

If we get the larger size, then up to 15" will be easier - since it’s in one piece; however, if the design is much smaller, there will be a lot of waste (and smaller pieces of vinyl can be a bit more difficult to put through our vinyl cutter for some people…).

If we get the smaller roll, that will probably work well with most t-shirt designs and smaller applications, be less waste, and can still be used in some larger designs by splitting the design into smaller sections - depending on the design and the skill level of the user, of course…

The way I personally would use it, the smaller rolls would be a better deal. (The way the decision processes in my mind, it’d be about the same as using our Dye Sublimation setup - with our current ‘standard size’ paper being as large as we can currently use ~ which still happens to work fine for the majority of t-shirt designs that I can imagine me doing… :wink: :slight_smile: )

All that being said, definitely go with what the majority of who will likely be the “power users” - since I plan on using it some; but, probably not enough for 10" vs 15" to make a difference in my “fun”.

Thanks for planning on bringing another kewl t̶o̶y̶ tool to the 'Space!

… for those who missed the “Vinyl holder is up” thread… Here’s a post with some images of it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know when I did hockey jerseys I was using the full width of whatever roll I had, and more length. Can’t remember what width it was, but think it was wider than 15. But I’ll order whatever I need for most projects. And I’m still not checked out on the DMS vinyl cutter.

But, for Tshirt uses, I could see value in being able to do 15x24, or 5x7. Scrap is likely going to be a challenge either way, but purely from an advise perspective, I would probably target maximum usability.

15" it is!

You will need to take a class before using the materials. Adam is going to setup the rack once it all comes in so it looks more delicious and is more user friendly.

Again, I want to encourage Dms chairs to use the vinyl (free of charge) to help better organize the space. Please please please use up some of the smaller rolls we have to free up some room on the rack.

1 Like

If I missed the chat sorry for being late.

Glad you chose 15 inch, most full front or full back shirts print 11+ inches wide, so the 10 inch would be a wall many would run into. Also, I’d suggest sticking with regular easy weed, the stretch/athletic version is a bitch to weed and not worth the extra effort. Lastly warning against any holographic/foil heat press vinyl, it just doesn’t lay well on fabric and they wear in ugly ways as well.

good advice! I’m going to stick to simple colors for the offerings here - if people want to get all jazzy they can find it.

1 Like

Late to the chat too, but the 15" roll gives you 50% more material for less than 50% more expense.

I LOVE the EasyWeed Stretch, for stretchy fabrics and haven’t had any weeding issues with it. Can usually weed a piece in the time it takes the next one to cut on my Cricut when I get going on a roll. For regular cotton or 50/50 t-shirts and a lot of other projects, the EasyWeed regular is my go to product.

Looking forward to checking out on the big cutter at the space.

1 Like

Ordered - on it’s way with a set of new blades and some squeegees. It will get here probably when I’m gone. I’m counting on everyone to check the rolls (they will be color coded on the inside) before use. Also - someone (bitta, adam, possibly nick) will teach at a class before you can use. It’s a simple process - but please respect the system of classes - tool usage we have going.

1 Like

Sorry I’ve been out of pocket (Montana with poor internet). I’d want to run some demo stuff maybe all together with one another to develop a skillset before trying to teach others :slight_smile:

You have my blessings to experiment away.

I took Adam’s class this evening on the big DMS vinyl cutter - a lot of fun…whoop whoop! Since changing the cut settings on the big cutter sounds like it might pretty involved, the Cameo may be the way to go for that stuff. We can buy the Sure Cuts A Lot software for it for $60…

I can’t remember which brand of heat press vinyl I’ve used in the past, but I didn’t have to adjust the settings for OK results. I’ve made bigger adjustments between cheap and good vinyl.

The Siser heat transfer vinyl is 3.5 mils while most standard calendered sign vinyls are around 2.8 - 3 mils. It’s enough to make a difference when your doing kiss cuts to keep the backing intact and still cut the vinyl cleanly. I’m not sure about the thickness of the sign vinyl at DMS right now, but there are a few different ones on hand.

I bought some glitter heat press vinyl, I came up here to test it out, I can’t seem to find a heat press though. I thought we had one.

It is in the rolling cabinet under the tall table in CA.

Cary … I assume that’s the heat press marked for Dye Sub?

It’s not just for dye sub, but yes, that is the one. Heat presses are very versatile pieces of equipment.

1 Like