Open house 2017/ Tour night displays & projects

I would like to discuss projects for the Open house. It will be here before we know it. (Presumably if we have it) Also it will be for tour night as well.

One of these I have in mind is a turners cube made from brass. As for the display, I was thinking some Walnut with Purpleheart wood inlay. The inlay would be cut/carved out to place the cube on 3 of its sizes.

Anyone else’s have any other ideas for other projects?
I’d really like to hear other projects that put forth the makers skills & show more what we do here.

1 Like

I was thinking about plasma cutting another gigantic steel d20 for the metal shop to demo on tours.

2 Likes

You have to bring the Cruel Bus, give people hope for the coming apocalypse, joining DMS can be their route to survival.

6 Likes

I think we are in Cali for open house again

1 Like

Working on paint your own ceramic necklaces for fired arts. I think we are going to do acrylic paint so people can paint their pendant and take it home that same day. I only have experience with glazes so if anyone has recommendations for acrylic paint that is good for ceramics please let me know. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

for those that don’t know this is a turners cube.

1 Like

Tim, if you need any help/advice on making your Turner’s cube, let me know

1 Like

cool. that is the more complicated Cube within a Cube. The turners cube above just uses a boring bar (or a cnc in my case). Both are excellent displays.

1 Like

I try to run a project on thursdays during tours so I have lots of CNC’d examples I can show in our machine shop area. But I would love to see stuff from all our other members. Perhaps a collaboration between committees.

1 Like

Do we have a firm date for open house?

If the timing works, for fiberarts I was thinking to have the four-harness loom set up so random folks could weave a little on it.

2 Likes

I believe it is October 7th.

@Adam_Oas

2 Likes

I would like to make a turning cube with multiple free cubes internal. Can’t make it too easy.

1 Like

October 7th, 2017.

10am to 7pm (I think?!?)

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

2 Likes

I can help with this, I used to to a lot of painted ceramics, They wee slip cast one
put still bisqued,

Catch me when I am at the site, there were some Duncan liquid acrylics that were
wonderful

2 Likes

Jewelry had not discussed this yet, My thought is spend some time making
some copper enamel beads and once they cool folks can take one, Maybe have
some leather cord for folks to hang them on,

The other thins I hope for is that we will have the niobium anodonizer by then
Coloring with it looks like magic! This is my personal wishful thinking since
there hasn t been a decision to buy one yet!

Other ideas that I can do is the cookie tin jewelry and maye alcohol ink colored jewelry

I am willing to donate at least 4 hrs to jewelry that day

1 Like

I have enameled copper beads. It was sloooow going.

I think we can expect 250-500 people to walk through. Whoever is planning hands on, it has to be interesting, fast, and clean/easy.

Is the time per bead per person reasonable if 50-100 people wanted to make a bead?

Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

The ones I do are fired in a torch, so it doesn t take long for them to make
longer to cool–they would have to circle back to get their bead

I am also thinking about demoing things that folks might want to learn also
That would be true with the niobium because of the cost of the metal

When I have demoed the beads at various things they always get a lot
of interest,

1 Like

If @TLAR is down for it the 501st are building their large set for the year which is a speeder from the third Star Wars movie, and I think it would be an amazing thing if one was set up on the lift with Darth Vader and troopers working on it.

2 Likes

I have so many questions. First the acrylic paint has to be really good with no smearing or staining of clothes (even if it gets wet) since it is jewelry. Second, do you think paint bisque or run it through a glaze kiln and then paint it? I have a lot of bisque that we can practice on. I’ll probably need more bisque before the open house though if anyone wants to meet up and make pendants.

2 Likes

I have some various cookie cuttere that can be used to cut pendents, to make cleaning them
easier, place plastic rap over the cay then use the cookie cutter

When are you usually around and available? I tend to come sometimes mid afternoon
and they I spend the night, (so hubby doesn t need to drive in traffic or when he is sleepy)

We might could make some press plaster molds for some items, I am willing to help on this, mostly
before the open house, since I expect to be helping in jewelry a lot that day,

There are the paints that I loved to use, good coverage and smooth look, I did seal them, They items were only
bisqued Sometimes it was low fir clay

1 Like