Open back resin jewelry and metal etching

Classes would be the week before Christmas…possibly a Saturday before thanksgiving if we have enough interest

Open back resin class: bring your own inclusions suggested but I’ll have a few like small petals, paint bits, shavings or sprinkles. We will talk about prepping materials for inclusion and make a project (obviously will have to be demolded afterwards). Materials fee $5 or bring your own.

Copper etching for jewelry or printmaking: common resists, design, and etch your own blank…then use it as a printmaking plate to show that process. Each person will leave with a 5 pack of PNP blue and a finished copper pendant. Materials fee around $10.

4 Likes

I’m very interested in the metal etching

You beat me to the etching class, it was on my list to put up soon
It seems like you have some different methods than I would have had

Mine would have been real old school

Well if you’re doing a different method and there’s demand (I’d imagine likely) then why wouldn’t you? There’s a huge array of ways to use etching as well as methods. I’d enjoy trying the different methods and seeing what I like the best, works good for my project, and also has the best plus/minus of cost/effort/safety for what I’d want to mess with. So yeah, I’d like to learn/try several

To @MrsMoose --pcb resist is definitely one that’s been high on my list to try

2 Likes

Interested in the metal etching.

1 Like

Ditto interest in metal etching.

1 Like

Sweet. Let me confirm with the vendor and I’ll get it on the calendar. I was lucky to make contact with their rep this weekend so they’re helping us with material. If you have your own copper sheet it’ll cut your material fee down quite a bit.

What gauge(s) would be good?

If you’re going to enamel it after or etch both sides 18ga. Otherwise anything over a 30 ga tooling foil is fine. Shallower metals just cannot get as deep

1 Like

While I was going to vote for open back resin, can’t say no to copper etching. :slight_smile:

In a perfect world I’d do two over Thanksgiving. In the real one I miss playing al I’ll do one and push back the other :joy: Etching will get submitted for approval tomorrow so keep an eye out. I’ll know soon if the vendor will be able to get the sample packs in time but we will for sure practice some things.

Oh no worries. Take your time. Any chance to learn something new I’ll jump at. Thank you for volunteering your time.

Etching class is submitted for 11/19 at 5PM. I tried to do a sawing class beforehand in case someone wanted to do a special shape but the calendar wouldn’t let me…but I’ll likely be loitering and working on personal projects so feel free to come a little early if you know how to saw! Etching class is free unless you need materials

If we have interest specifically in a sawing/piercing class I’ll add that.

2 Likes