Oops got teeth?

So a few weeks back, the wife was driving the Jeep to the store. She then noticed bad noises and came back home. I briefly looked at it. 2-3 weeks ago my son & I pulled the diff cover to find teeth broken on my ring gear on my rear diff. Today we are finally getting around to pulling it apart to replace them. So I thought I’d share the ”missing teeth”.

7 Likes

Many, many years ago I drove a 1956 Ford Pickup truck. I discovered that 2nd gear was out. I took off the inspection panel of the tranny and saw no missing teeth. I tightened up the linkage, still no 2nd gear. Again, took off the inspection plate on the tranny and looked closer. I had sheered off all the synchronizer teeth, every one of them.

6 Likes

Looks like you got yourself a nice “desk trophy” there.
Any ideas on what caused the failure?

2 Likes

I’d say big tires and off-roading. If I had to guess it probably broke a partial tooth off during a hill challenge when I got all 4 wheels a foot off the ground twice. We didn’t really drive it all that much on the street until recently. My theory is a broken tooth got between the ring gear and pinion. It’s actually my second set, what can I say, I push my Jeep. That same hill challenge I tore my frame, didn’t know it until after we got back from Moab two weeks after that challenge.

2 Likes

Shock/impulse loads - great way to find the weakest link…:rofl::scream:

1 Like

Here is a video a friend of mine did in Hot Spings. My Jeep has the dingleberry trash bag. The trail was Ingrid’s Revenge, I had to backout as the slab was slicker than snot. Another friend took out one of his tires trying to get up said slab. Yes that’s a 5 diamond trail, That trail also gave me my passenger side B pillar ding when I was on smaller tires (35’s).

1 Like