Online Ceramics Conference, Workshops, Demos, Talks

This is an upcoming ceramics conference based in Canada. Workshops, demos, talks.

$10 a ticket for viewing access during the weekend only

$59 for viewing during the weekend and Unlimited (I think, best to confirm) Future Viewing

Would DMS Ceramics Committee be interested in purchasing a $59 Ticket and sharing the access password etc, so any and all interested members can view the conference for Free?

You can view the line-up of participating ceramic artists on the above link.

1 Like

It’s a super amazing deal for $10, I would support even if you are even a bit interested.

I absolutely agree! I intend to purchase a $10 ticket!
But then when I read about the $59 ticket with unlimited future access viewing, I thought it could be a cool thing for the Ceramics Committee to have for all its members, current and future ones!

• some may have a problem with purchasing one $59 ticket and sharing the user info. I get that. I’m sure schools and art centers will do that; show videos in the classes, and make the user info avail so students can see the videos from home. That doesn’t make it ‘right’ that so many will view off one ticket, but it certainly is done and will be done in a school or art center setting.

• alternatively, maybe a group from Ceramics that haven’t purchased tickets yet would like to go in together on a $59 ticket

Just suggestions. I do hope some DMS folks get tickets, at least the $10 ones. It will be super cool to see what ceramic folks are doing in Canada :slight_smile:

Lets call it what it is your not sharing you are stealing.

They make it clear in their terms of service they only sale individual licenses. I emailed them and they are only willing to sale individual tickets not organizational tickets.

Here is a novel idea lets support other artists and arts organizations who put in their blood sweat and tears to make things like this happen for us by paying them instead of ripping them off.

3 Likes

Thank you for your imput. I was clear in my comment that someone might not feel comfortable with sharing a ticket. If so, as with all things, don’t do it.

Whether or not they have an official organizational ticket, such things are routinely shared, especially in school or art center settings. I have seen many times an online workshop with a teacher in a casual computer room setting where a few interested students gathered, or as part of a class. The teacher or depart coordinator purchased the one-time viewing of the video, or purchased the higher priced 30 day viewing and multiple classes saw it.

I also know of a DMS member that was going to purchase one ticket for a online workshop and schedule a DMS class for viewing. 8 people, plus the DMS teacher, would have seen that workshop. Well, I would have made 10, because the teacher was kind enough to include me, let me view the workshop without having to stay for the making part of their class after.

If the slippery slope is too egregious for you, I suggest you stay outside and eat your lunch. I’m going to be inside, watching, if anyone wants to share with me.

As a former academic librarian who used to purchase the viewings of videos for a college, schools only allow the showing of these videos if it meets the fair use copyright laws for eduction or they have purchased the rights or seats to watch them. If a teacher is not going through official channels and is purchasing those videos on their own that is on the teacher not the school and the schools do not endorse that behavior.

But what you are suggesting here is not a one time classroom viewing but buying a one time ticket with unlimited access to an entire conference proceedings and sharing the username and password into perpetuity with the DMS Members who are comfortable with stealing. The legal term for it is Theft of Service because you agree to their service contract when you purchase the individual ticket. So to be clear everyone who is using that username and password is stealing $65 out of the pockets of the artist and organizers of this online conference. Which by the way my understanding is these conferences are not raking in the big bucks but run on razor thin margins.

So that leaves the “it is ok to steal because everyone else is” argument. I think this is a lesson most people learned from their parents and it probably involved jumping off a bridge.

If you feel so entitled, feel free to steal at will and enjoy your sandwich.

3 Likes

Unfortunately it is per person, you get your own log in, can set up a profile and network with ceramicists/potters all over the world. The $59 gives you unlimited access to 72 workshops by amazing artists! That’s less than a dollar per workshop. ( I think they normally charge $29 per work shop).