One on one laser training?

I’m looking for assistance with the laser and would happily pay for a private lesson. I took the basics class before the coronavirus lockdowns, but haven’t had a chance to go in since. I guess it’s like they say “if you don’t use it, you lose it”…

I’ve got two small projects. I’d like to cut two ~1’ x 2" rectangle acrylic pieces, and would like to etch a logo on a yeti mug.

I’d be happy to pay $30/hr. My schedule is pretty open. I’m free on weekends and after 5:00 PM on weekdays. If someone is interested in helping me out, please let me know!

1 Like

Someone just put up the regular laser and Epilogue laser classes on the calendar for September 19th (back to back). I would just take both of them if you are ok waiting 4 days. For the Yeti, I would highly recommend using the Epilog, but you need to be signed off on it. You’ll be amazed at how easy it is. I would sign up fast because both those classes fill up extremely fast.

1 Like

Thank you for the heads up, I wasn’t aware they were posting new classes! That resolves my problem.

No problem! Don’t forget to sign up for both laser classes though. The Epilog laser is its own separate class.

For some reason, I’m not able to sign up for the Epilog laser class. I’m guessing it’s because I am currently signed up for the Basics class, which is a prerequisite. However, I’ve already taken the Basics class once before, so that shouldn’t be blocking me.

Either way, I’ll get in that class soon. Thanks again for the help!

@cvrana someone is trying to sign up for the Epilog class on the 19th and it’s not letting him. He says he’s already taken the prerequisite laser class. Can you help him?

Drop me a PM with your DMS username if it’s separate from Talk. Laser basics covers the Thunders, but there is a separate AD group for the thunders now that not all the original users have (this was done to make it cleaner on which lasers you were trained on, but can be a nuisance for the calendar which checks a single AD group). However this doesn’t really make sense since laser basics is the inclusive one that should be used according to the committee with the current structure.

I can add you to the more specific one since your training covers it anyway

EDIT: Nevermind I found you @cabroadhead
Try registering now

1 Like

What’s the link to check our AD groups? I can’t seem to find it. I want to make sure mine are correct now that you mention it.

Well it’s moot now for the laser quirk. I talked with Michael and there hasn’t been a reason not to decommission the old group, it’s unknown why previous chairs didn’t do it so I was told just to do it.

All the users now are in laser basics as they should be. I’ll be adjusting the calendar so you can’t select the old thunders and zing categories.

Ok…but just so you know, I went looking on the wiki to try and find the link to check for myself and it pointed me to https://votingrights.dallasmakerspace.org/ which is telling me a server with that host name can’t be found. I know I’ve been to that website before too. :thinking:

yeah there isn’t a reliable way to check AD rights outside of the space currently except via the jump server.

You can login to jump and open Command Prompt or Powershell. Run the following:

net user /domain (your_username_here)

Or you can find your user under the Members directory in Active Directory Users and Computers

Or, when at the space, you can scan your fob at the kiosk in center of the common room.

1 Like

The registration worked this time! Thank you for the help!

1 Like

@Team_Laser … Noticed the upcoming Basic Laser Training Class is full … Is there an idea as to when then next training class will be scheduled?