Omg omg omg omg mystery crates and obvious boxes

Dear Makerspace -

Creative arts just recieved its white elephant and its workhorses. What’s within that crate has lived a life of great adventure and will now continue to live a life. What is within the boxes will allow everyone to easily learn how to maintain and operate basic sewing needs and skills. I have goosebumps I’m so excited.

Lots of growth thanks to an infusion by the board. It’s my hope to eventually build a loft within the creative arts room stocked full with tools and possibilities. So watch out for art three point oh coming next month (kidding)

6 Likes

The mystery crate arrived on my doorstep … after suffering a minor hernia getting it into my car, it made its way to the Space. Where, fortunately a hand truck was available to transport to the CA room. After collecting hammers, large screw drivers, rubber mallets, and other devices… the crate was forced to yield the letterpress within. The shipping price definitely included a well made wooden crate.

I’ve spent about 3.5 hours today getting rust off many of the surfaces … it looks pretty good right now. The ink platen is still not rotating freely due to rust, but it is soaking in penetrate oil and is starting to loosen up. Once that’s off, it’ll be re-rusted and the bearing area polished so it rotates freely.

It needs two new rollers, a spring (no biggie), the casing frame, some quins (sp) and it will be ready to go. Some touch up black enamel and it’ll look great!

Sewing machines were unboxed by another of Nicole’s minions, recorded the serial numbers, checked for any damage (none) loaded them into their rolling cabinet. What is great is they are just the length of the shelf depth so three easily fits across on a single shelf leaving plenty of room for other sewing items such as the serger, accessories, and more goodies to come!

Update: Nicole minion @Bill Gee dropped by and was looking at the letterpress - he helped me work the ink platen free, grit blast the rust off the back, clean up the bearing and post. We reassembled and now you can spin it and it rotates so freely it make a full revolution …

Next stop rollers and casing frame!

Come by and admire the machine…it is a work of art in its own right.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

How is that not descriptive computer???