Old, Used or Broken Firebricks and an Old Heating Element needed

I have need of a few firebricks and an old even broken heating element for a science project the concept being a ‘thermal battery’ i.e. a small heat storage device. The device is conceptually like a small kiln that is heated up slowly, stores the heat and then releases its heat in a controlled manner when necessary. Is there some throwaway stuff somewhere in ceramics I could have? If not, where do I buy firebricks and a heating element? Thanks.

If someone doesn’t have a free solution for you, web search for refractory Dallas TX to see who might be close to you. Also could call Trinity Ceramics to see if they have particular supplier recs. Good luck!

Edit: also, don’t forget to check online neighborhood marketplaces, there are often old model, small kilns people just want to get rid of that you could take apart/modify.

1 Like

Thanks. I like the old small kiln idea.

I just checked Facebook marketplace and depending on how far you are willing to drive, there are a couple of $100 kilns (that you can almost certainly make a lower offer on, they’ve been there a few days). Craigslist didn’t have anything cheap at the moment. Checking often/alerts will help net you the whack-a-doodle near-giveaways. I’m vehemently anti-Facebook but I know some folks that have gotten insane deals by hawking the marketplace.

Also search for firebrick, I saw a crossover listing but they were pretty far away for just a few bricks. Didn’t do one myself, that way leads to me getting ideas and I’ve got too many projects already! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got old elements from a raku kiln I converted if you want them

Sure, thank you very much. I can come buy this week if you leave them for me somewhere.

I also have some old elements I can bring in tomorrow if you are searching for more. I have seen firebricks for sale online as well. Clay king comes to mind.

Thank you. But please don’t make a special trip for me but only if you were coming anyway. Just tell me where they will be and I will get them. Thanks again!

Yeah I’ll be there on Wednesday I’ll bring up with me

1 Like

Not a special trip at all, was planning on working in ceramics tomorrow morning.

1 Like

Thanks to both @Csmith10987 and @Monikat! I plan to come up Wednesday afternoon around or right after lunchtime.

1 Like

I’m going to be there around 4 or 5 tonight I can leave them somewhere for you if you want me too

1 Like

The old elements from our kiln are on a table under the black cabinets.

I may be here when you arrive

1 Like

Thanks. On a table in Science would be great! Thanks again!

Thanks. I hope to see you! Thanks again!

I found them. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks again!

1 Like

You are very welcome