Old Text Books and References

Hello. I am cleaning out some rooms/shelves, and am getting ready to deep six some old text books and (mostly programming) reference books/guides. If you, dear reader, would like me to hold any of them back, let me know and I’ll tag them w/your name and drop them off for you at the 'Space next time I am there. I’ll bump once in a few days and wait until next Tuesday (garbage day in mblatzistan) before I throw away.

1 Like

If I didn’t have so many of similar ones I’d take some of these. It seems like most technical books are out of date the day you buy them. Of course, some are great reference material or doorstops. Thanks for posting the pics, it brought to mind that I need to do the same thing.

1 Like

I am interested in the books on Python programming as well as the Linux/Unix books. I have a orange bin in the break room if you want to leave them there if you do not catch me. I will be there working on a pin in Vector on Thursday night during open house tours.

I like Python/Java books if there are any left… thx…

I read someplace that these would go great on the freebie shelf.

(ducks)

4 Likes

I’d happily take the OO books and the C++ books.

Wow…really wasn’t expecting much response, these books being somewhat out-of-date and the Internet being the magical fountain of information that it is. But I am gratified since I generally was taught to revere (printed) books and sorta feel that throwing one away kills civilization just a little bit each time.

Anyhoo…I have a PM for the C++ books frpm @darrent that predates other requests. I’ll label the Python and Unix for @Shawn_Christian, Java for @semaphore1999, and OO books for @Karl_Lockhart. If you gave (or give) me a way to deliver them, i.e. specific shelf, bin, or whatever, I’ll use it, otherwise I’ll put them in my personal storage bin in the galley and let you know when they are there.

1 Like

I’ll take any you don’t want or need.

FYI…anybody that writes VBA Marcos in Windows Excel, Word, etc. should grab that Visual Basic 6 book you have. All Excel macros are actually written in VB6.

3 Likes

Too bad the Freebie Shelf has been pilloried lately. It had been a good place for old books to find a new home.

1 Like

Nah… the unix, cobol and what not would have a better home in the VCC library.

1 Like

Speaking of which, what is all left?

I’ll snap a pic and post in a little while. Still available:

2 Likes

I’ll break your heart and tell you I had COBOL in college 32 (corrected from 36) years ago.

Where did the time go…

Smashing! I’ll take the lot of them. Doubt they will fit in my project space or on the shelf for the VCC library so when’s the next time you’ll be by the space? I’m coming saturday morning for an impromptu barista brunch and coding day.