Old Computer Parts - Any Use?

So I have some old computer parts… old memory, IDE DVD-ROM drives, AGP graphics cards, even an old motherboard/processor/memory kit (Athlon 3400+ I think). Most stuff should be fine, some stuff might be “I don’t remember if I upgraded it or it broke and I replaced it.”

Is this of any use to you all?

We have members who recycle such things

@artg_dms
@Diplomat

I can recycle them no problem, but hate doing it on things that people may want to use (or sell).

Bring them up and put them on the “Member Exchange” shelf next to the back door.

1 Like

There’s a lot of stuff… sure it won’t be a problem?

I tell ya what, it looks like there’s enough stuff there to put a PC together. Can I have the stuff long enough to put a basic PC build class together? After the class, it can be donated or given away.

4 Likes

I don’t seem to be able to message you.

Let me get an inventory typed up and we’ll go from there.

Sounds good. If some of the parts don’t work, that is fine too. I’ll test them out before the class, but it makes for good troubleshooting if everything doesn’t work the first go round.

I’ll put together a PowerPoint deck for the class. General basics of what each part does, and how to assemble it.

2 Likes

I didn’t know there was such a thing as the Member Exchange shelf.
I got stuff, man! I will bring some.

Sorry this has taken so long. It’s been a low priority project.

Here’s the list I compiled… @jottwell anything you want?

Anything anyone else want?

Anything you all think I just recycle?

Anything you all think might be worth some money?

Help me, because some of this stuff (like the old processors) I’m feeling very nostalgic over and want to put back in the closet to take up space, lol.

Belkin N300 Router - kept having network disconnect issues

Actiontec GT784WN DSL Gateway - Marsela Major; replaced by a newer device

Motorola SB6141 Cable Modem - replaced in an upgrade

Sony DRU-810A Dual Layer DVD+RW (IDE) - replaced in an upgrade

Sony DDU1622 DVD-ROM (IDE) - replaced in an upgrade

D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI) - should be functional

D-Link WDA-1320 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI) - should be functional

Tenda W322PV2.0 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI) - should be functional

Firewire Adapter (PCI) - should be functional

Intel Pro 1000 GT Network Adapter (PCI) - should be functional

D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Network Adapter (PCI) - should be functional

Creative Labs SB0570 Sound Card (PCI) - should be functional

Bluetooth Adapter (USB) - Pete Pfautsch; new computer has built in bluetooth

Assorted Desktop and Laptop Memory - should be functional (nothing new though)

A really old pile of desktop memory - should be functional

Assorted Processors (Athlon 1600+, Duron 950, AMD K6, Athlon 64 x2, and another Athlon 64 x2) - unknown status

Radeon HD 4350 (HP 517123) Video Card (PCI Express) - functional but the fan is grinding

Radeon 9600 Pro Video Card (AGP) - unknown status (I don’t know if I upgraded it or if it failed; I think it failed)

Radeon 9800 PRo Video Card (AGP) - pretty sure this is defective

Radeon AH3450 (ASUS) Video Card (AGP) - should be working (was in use with the computer below)

Motherboard (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe), Processor (Athlon 64 3200+ (Newcastle); SLK-948U heat sink), and Memory (2gb Crucial PC-3200) Kit - should be working (was my old computer that got replaced in an upgrade)

Antec 550 Neo HE Power Supply (moduler) - should be working

Antec 380 TruePower Power Supply - should be working (all the connections are molex; I cut off some wires I wasn’t using and I don’t remember what they were for)

Motherboard (Lucky Star 5MVP3) and Processor (AMD K6-2) Kit - unknown status

Motherboard (80486) and Processor (Am5x86-P75 (X5-133 ADW) Kit - unknown status

Motherboard (ASUS A7N8X-X) and Processor (Athlon XP 2500+) Kit - unknown status

Apollo FYI-597-VP3 Motherboard - unknown status

A generic laptop bag - can hold any size laptop and assorted things; I can provide a picture if wanted

A full sized computer case - I’ll have to provide a picture if you’re interested in this as I don’t remember the model number and there’s no markings; it’s your standard rectangle case that housed your standard gaming computer

HP Pavilion A1600N (no hard drive; XP based computer) - should be functional

HP Pavilion P6367C (no hard drive; 7 based computer) - should be functional

Emerson Islatrol RM-115-10RM inline 120 Volt AC 15A 10 outlet 1RU Rack Mount AC Power Surge Protector - should be functional (and brand new)

Liebert PSP500MT3-120U UPS - should be functional (and brand new)

If nobody else is interested in the two Antec power supplies, Intel Pro 1000 GT network adapter, laptop bag, or the assorted memory modules I would gladly give them a new home.

Currently looking for some decent ATX power supplies to convert into a basic multivoltage bench power supply.

I also have a place at home in my network closet where I could use the rackmount power strip and UPS.

Depending on vintage, I’d be interested in any 4/8GB DIMMs.

Ahem. The Exchange shelf has moved. It is now next to Machine Shop, kinda. It’s the shelf full of things that you see as you come in the front door of the main workshop.

Is all this assorted stuff something I can just pile up in that area or do I need to be more selective? Part of getting an entire inventory posted is to know “that’s junk, recycle it” vs “I’m sure that can find a good home, leave it on the shelf”.

As long as none of it is CRT monitors, you can put it all on the Exchange Shelf. If no one takes it after a couple of weeks, I’ll gather it up and recycle it. There’s a spot on Shiloh Rd in Garland that actually gives you a pittance for solid things, and City of Dallas’ recycling program on Harry Hines will accept stuff that’s glass-heavy. We regularly go to both – Shiloh for aluminum, and CoD for plastic/glass.

And, just because nobody would use it for its’ designed purpose doesn’t mean someone won’t find a crafty use for the bits. And there are people who are frightened by Talk who wander through the workshop.

Okay, another thing… I’m not a member. If all I want to do, right now at this time, is just come by to drop this stuff off for the Exchange Shelf… do I still need to sign up as a member?

I regularly get old computers and parts and so this may be something that I do from time to time.

We can deal. I sent you a PM.

@Shawn_Christian @ESmith

What are my options to ensure this stuff gets to you? Can I put it on the Exchange Shelf, with your names on it, and trust that it’ll get to you?

Anything on the 'shelf is fair game for anyone else that happens by.

I’ll PM you some details if you’re willing to go a little out of your way to deliver.