Old ass cracked vinyl on cars - what to do

Other solvents to try: WD-40 and lighter fluid.

My dad used to use lighter fluid to remove all kinds of gunk - especially pine sap from our clothing.

2 Likes

Lighter fluid and open flame will get rid of many things :wink:

3 Likes

The drill attached erasers work good but if you are going to do quite a bit of it I would suggest

I used it to sand down a whole vehicle before painting and it never died.

I was using this as an applicator but I was doing it to remove it down to steel.

Honestly before doing anything I would hit it with a aggressive buffing compound. As an example

But you may be surprised what a solid buffing compound can do and it could bring it back to white.

1 Like

In the same vein as mechanical as someone who is also trying out this lifestyle I would suggest also checking/replacing

House electrical Battery bank
Fresh water pump is a critical system
Generator it needs to be reliable and you may need spare parts (I am doing an oil change approx weekly on mine)
AC/Heat let me tell you as someone who spent yesterday baking without power and tonight running on half system keeping a comfortable system is key.
Replace every hose if it looks suspect especially black water hoses.
If your going to be boondocking black water system is a critical system.

Finally if you need any advice on internet let me know I am about 2 months in on research and 1 week into execution of trying 4 distinct cellular plans but if you are intending to WFH I can hook you up with knowledge on how to do it.

Edit if you do paint check out some of the cool science in the space.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!

We had our first major setback yesterday.

Something about very cold rain takes frustration up a notch. Hopefully we will sail this beast properly soon.

1 Like