Oil change - Honda Fit

I never did oil change. I have Honda Fit 2017 and looking to learn oil change by own as my car is due for oil change.

Can someone help me one on one and I will pay for the time and appreciate for making me learn new skill.
I also need to buy synthetic oil and oil filter, any recommendation will be helpful or else will check with autozone.

Please send me message here or on my phone 214 435 3730 and we can coordinate the timings.

I like Car Kiosk for this type of stuff because they take you through it slowly, literally step-by-step:

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2015_Honda_Fit_EX_1.5L_4_Cyl./oil/change_oil_and_oil_filter

2 Likes

Oil type and weight is probably marked on oil filler cap or somewhere under the hood.

1 Like

Amazon is really good about letting you put in your vehicle info and it will tell you if a part fits. Now I wouldn’t just trust that for everything, but oil and filters, sure. You might want to consider changing your air filter too if you don’t know when the last time that was done. They generally run $6-10.

1 Like

Rookie mistake to look out for: make sure the filter gasket comes off with the old filter! My very first “by myself” oil change, the gasket stuck to the filter mount. I screwed the new filter on, filled 'er up with oil, and got about 3 blocks from the house before oil started spraying out the gap between the gaskets. That was a fun tow-rope ride home behind my dad’s pickup…

1 Like

Seems like a harsh punishment for a simple mistake?

1 Like

If you’re already a member you would need to be checked out on the lift if you want to use it to change your oil.
0W-20 is the oil for the current generation Fit per Google search, but your owner’s manual will be the place to get the correct info.
Idemitsu, Eneos are good Japanese brands.
LiquiMoly is a good German brand.
Amsoil is a good US brand.
Amazon has their own motor oil too

If you’re into YT reviews.

1 Like

I’ve never changed my oil before either and would also like to learn. I’m due for an oil change and need to do my transmission fluid also, so we could teach how to use that fluid sucking thing we have at the same time (can’t remember what it’s called). Is anyone willing to teach those of us who want to learn? Maybe use one of us as a demonstration car. I’ve been cleared on the lift already.

That’s the reason I am afraid of doing it myself for first time.

I am member since last 6-8 months, but I have no clearance on lift. I need to take next available class.

You don’t need the lift to do an oil change, though it is often helpful for a first timer or someone like me that has steel skid plates.

If you see myself or @patrickpleez1 around we can usually sign someone off on the lift on the spot. However, I am trying to get more of the instructors to throw up classes.

Jim, I’ve offered to walk him through his basic oil change. I’ve been checked out to use lift but not to check someone else out. If you happen to be up there this evening and have the bandwidth, if you check him out and I shadow you, I’d be willing to put up a class or two in April once Con season is over.

If I’m around sure though I may not make it up today

What time??? As mentioned above…there are others who want to learn also. Depending on what time, I might grab some oil and a filter and come too.

I’ve been checked out to teach the lift class previously.
Is there an updated teaching guide for lift classes?
I’m going to be there some time soon to do an oil change as well.

+1.
The old fashion way is jack stands.

Jack stands are much better, I graduated to those after I got tired of tempting fate with car ramps. In a pinch you can put one side of the car up on the curb. I did that once…
Anymore I just take my car to Kwik Kar or similar. I have grown past the days of crawling under my daily driver to splash oil on my self and then have to take the used oil somewhere to dispose of it. Now give me a project fun car I may change my mind. Maybe I’m just too old…

You are welcome to come and watch, but you’ll need to figure your own vehicle specifics. The basic process is: open oil in engine, pull plug and drain, replace oil filter, refill, run and verify, cleanup and take oil with you. For a Honda Fit, it looks like it’s all nearly accessible from front bumper without jacking it up. Your car may be different. If you’re willing to help out stapling coupons to trifold brochures for this weekends Convention, I can help you locate filter and plug on your car. Talk to your auto part store for parts you may need.

I don’t have you as a lift instructor.

Odd, I taught a few impromptu ones(one on ones, or 2-3) while @TLAR was chair with his say so.
What’s needed to be listed as lift instructor?

We’ll take this to a private thread.