Oculus Rift DK2 Donation

There’s a good chance I can snag one or two Oculus Rift DK2 units and donate them to DMS. Would digital media committee be interested in this donation? Maybe science committee? It’s not certain I can get them but I’ll know by the end of the day.

6 Likes

We can certainly provide a donation receipt. I did a stab in the dark value and came up with an interesting comparison. Make you wonder why brick and mortar stores are disappearing, $1,299 at Sears? Who shops for VR fear at Sears?

I’ve secured one Oculus Rift DK2 unit. Is the chairperson of digital media on Talk?

5 Likes

Should be @rffalex

fffffffff

2 Likes

Well done!!! Great snag

1 Like

omg, I might actually get to use one of these…

[daydreaming intensifies]

I was hoping to get a committee to accept the donation. Regardless, I’ll leave it in the digital media room next time I’m at DMS.

2 Likes

Thanks Luke, We would love to take it and see how we can make use of it. Several members wanted to explore VR.

5 Likes

Very Cool!!
Looking forward to trying it out.
Thanks!

It’s on top of the shelf for digital media (in the common room).

6 Likes

Oooooooooohhhhhh…

So what’s the rules with this thing? Any training required? Belongs to Digital Media I assume? Is there a computer around that can run it? Know next to nothing about these things but would love to learn.

In my opinion training shouldn’t be required but it’s ultimately up to the digital media committee how they want to handle it. The machines we have now can probably run it on a limited basis. An updated GPU would make it a lot better.

Just some thoughts on this.

I have one and it requires a dedicated graphics card with at least an Nvidia 960. That is the official minimum I believe. You will not have any luck connecting it to a laptop even if that laptop has an HDMI port. The reason why is that the HDMI port is typically attached to the Intel graphics chip that is now built into most moderned CPUs. My son’s “gaming” laptop has an Nvideo 960M dedicated card, however that card is not connected to the HDMI port. Thus, DK2 does not work.

However, once you have a PC that has a 960+ graphics card, you can install the Oculus software and download software through the desktop app. DK2 is fully supported even though there are messages on screen that misleading say it is not. The message on the screen (and in the visor) says that DK2 is not supported for store apps (meaning, you can’t download an app from within the DK2 visor by staring at the icon for a few seconds…etc etc). You can however download it through the desktop and away you go.

1 Like