Oct 2017 Kiln News

Loaded up a bisque kiln yesterday. It’s currently at about 500F, so it’ll be tomorrow before it’s unloaded.

Got almost all things in. There was one mug (out of several) that felt a bit damp, so it didn’t get in.

There was one lump of clay sitting on the shelf like someone expected it to be fired. I’m going to put a note on it to see if they really wanted it fired, or they just forgot to toss it in the recycle bucket.

2 Likes

Did the glaze get in?

Loaded the glaze just now. I’ve realized we probably need some taller stilts. I got 3 of the 4 big pieces that you had sitting on the side. I didn’t get the lidded bowl in. I did get the one with a glaze tray that was sitting on the shelf.

I also didn’t get a couple of the larger KK pieces in.

2 Likes

Thank you…

Will Christie be unloading since you are out of town? Or will it be unloaded Monday?

I’ll unload Friday or Saturday and post here when pieces are available.

This’ll be part of our upcoming Strategic Planning post+meeting, but I wanted to go ahead and say thank you to @dryad2b for being the awesome point person for the Fired Arts community firing team. The ultimate goal is to have 1-2 more people to cover this type of situation and to reduce the load upon any one person. If you have experience with kiln firing and are interested in being part of the team, please contact me. Also, please be patient and potentially understanding about training, shadowing and community approval. It is very hard for people to trust others with their work and we want folks to feel comfortable and confidant in their firing team!

2 Likes

Glaze kiln unloaded, didn’t quite have a full load for bisque, probably ready for a firing Monday/Tuesday.

All 3 of the items on the roll cart of mine are ready for bisque fire. Please use the cotton to support the teapot under the handle. It’s mid fire, to 6.

Per our conversatuion the other day, I’m wondering if the kiln has hot and cool spots. If the cotton gets to hot it could deteriorate and turn to a type of silica dust. Tell me what time you will be unloading (when you know) I would like to unload it.
If it turns to dust, as in all dust, should not be breathed or blown on. It will not hurt the kiln. We won’t know until it’s unloaded if it fired over 6.

1 Like

@dryad2b

I’m tagging Beth for this one, she’ll be loading/unloading this week (I have a travel commitment). If you want to run cones, I believe there are at least regular 04s on the shelf and I have self supporting 5,6,7 in my bin in the galley (left hand side). If timing doesn’t work out, we can definitely run them the following week. Overall kiln maintenance will also be scheduled at the Oct. 30th meeting (which I’ll be posting about shortly). It needs a good vacuuming and several of the shelves need grinding down.

Edit: I’m really excited to see how the cotton works out!

Since this is just a bisque fire, the cotton should hold up. It’s the glaze fire I will be concerned about. What Temp does Beth bisque at? 04-05-06?

Standard community firings: 04 bisque/6 glaze.

04 is perfect! most of the studios I have been to fire at 05 or 06

1 Like

Whats the eta on the next Bisque firing? my 3 large items should fill a lot of the kiln.

Also Stanton Melvin had the cone items glazed on the bottom. (Newby) I loaned him my bed of nails to have them glazed fired.

1 Like

I’ll let you know tonight. I’ll be out there for my class, and I’ll assess.

Bisque kiln is unloaded. There were no explosions.

A few items didn’t make it in. Either damp or Too Many Big Things.

I’m thinking Monday night for the next glaze kiln.

1 Like

Ya! no explosion is always a good thing!

1 Like

I have 2 big glaze items ready. The black teapot and refire the big blue bowl. I’ll drop them off tomorrow, probably around lunch time.

1 Like

Loaded the glaze kiln.

4 things didn’t make it, in spite of my mad tetris skills… @meanbaby’s ruffled jar, the smaller of the 2 pendant racks (the big one did make it), and one of the flat items.

5 Likes

LOL! :blankspace:
:+1:

4 Likes

Glaze kiln was unloaded. Nothing really stuck to anything else.

3 Likes