OBD-II (CAN) bus tool development

This sounds right to me. Personally, I have never even seen anything but $5 Chinese elm327 knock off, so to me such is gold standard…lol…

For spacefolk, I think the best way to think of that port is simply a port, and Bluetooth scan tool is just a way to get access and speak obdii. From there it’s all software dependent on what your software can read. And it seems that torque for android has respectable interpretation capabiloty, and will link you to the web for more details should you choose.

Auto diagnostics is pretty well covered already with tools out there. But being a hybrid hw/sw guy myself, I have interest should any maker(s) have ambition toward custom approaches for auto service industry. Being labview literate allows me to easily interface to obdii as well and roll up custom apps. So should any maker(s) have aspirations along the lines of a new service paradigm (aka repair delivery, remote readout of customer’s car data), I would welcome such a dialog…

I am with @jast here, my limited experience has showed me it is just a matter of mapping, so for example with the BT OBD plugged in Torque can’t scan some [“nodes”,“addresses”, “endpoints”], not sure what the right word is, but with the Nissan Advanced EX plugin, it magically can read several more data points.

PIDs maybe? Or that is what Mazda is calling them.

There are plugins and other extra SOFTWARE that allows the reading of these “proprietary” PIDs. The point is that hardware is not the limitation (or based on the weird pin thing, was not in cases I am familiar with).

In the hardware options I have seen suggested, and for the few older cars I know about, there were no additional functionalities advertised beyond what Torque could do for <$20 with softare plugins included (or perhaps the newer ones for newer cars are pricey…dunno).

So I think that the difference is software instead of hardware. But should one happen to have that, say NIssan Advanced EX plug in, it should be possible to do a bit of bus sniffing and reverse engineer what time it is… Note: I also don’t know what the legal boundaries are, and most certainly these must be painstakingly followed or its for sure bad news at an inopportune moment. Were a crew to go after the botique auto repair delivery concept, I would think the revenues would easily support expenditures required to be appropriately compliant with laws/regulations.

And even in the case of needing some additional pin or whatever, this bus switches quite slowly. I feel certain Xilinx would have OBDII cores that could be customizable should new hardware be needed. Its all a matter of the size of the pot of the gold at the end of this rainbow.

Out of the park! yup that is the word/acronym.