O2 sensor simulator

The primary issue with soldering in automotive uses is that it creates stress risers in the wire that will likely fail under vibration sooner than a proper crimp.

A proper crimp is designed with both some uncrimped space to allow the flex in the wire to spread out in length, and a second crimp on the insulation that is there more for strain relief than holding the insulation.

Cars under 5 to 10 years old, I will try to do proper crimping for lifespan. If it is an older car, I may lean more towards soldering and multiple layers of heat shrink at different lengths.

1 Like

Thats the top of the motor mount. lol. the other 3 o2 sensors are down in the tunnel on the y-pipe.

lol.
er, pics or it doesn’t exist? :smiley:

:roll_eyes:

Yeah, if you’re doing it in a tunnel, you’re more likely to need a 90° adaptor if you went the spacer route.

Looks like im gonna put this on hold. These headers hit on the frame and rattle pretty bad, PPE couldn’t find a solution for me, so they’re gonna make me another set of headers. Until i know when/how thats gonna work im just gonna let it ride.

If it’s a custom header, perhaps they can make room for the bung extensions.

Is a O2 sensor delete package not availible? I know I could get them for my Mustang for off-road pipes.

Its custom, but theres very little room under the car where the sensors need to go. Even the factory locations didnt have much room. Lexus really did cram the 2j in that car.

I havent seen one, but that doesnt mean that theres not a nice plug and play option i can use.

Perhaps relocating the o2 sensors further downstream may do the trick.

I think im just going to get some O2 connectors and make a plug and play option for myself to see if the rf filter option will work, and go from there.

1 Like

Have them put in a few extra bungs. OE & downstream where there is more space. The extra ones you can use for wideband tuning later on, if you don’t end up using them for o2 relocation.

After a few weeks of on car testing, i can say that, for my application at least, the instructions in this instructable worked exceptionally well. I got some O2 sensor plugs like these from Ballenger Motorsports and make a plug and play patch harness. They have been on the car for about 2 weeks now and looking at the data coming off the OBD2 adapter, it looks like its outputting what the ECU is looking for, and the check engine light hasn’t come back on. #PleaseDontTellTxDot

2 Likes