Nuts & Bolts under Kluge Letterpress

I ground and welded the suction gripper cam, now it’s ready to be installed. But, I didn’t see the bolts nuts under the press where I left them.

Has anyone seen this assortment of hardware rolled-up in thin clear bubblepack?

2 Likes

Paging @Hardsuit

Neither Astrud or I have moved anything.

There was that other person, name was Kim(??) or similar. Said she was working on fixing a press. No idea if this is the same equipment. Figured y’all might know her…

No idea who you’re talking about for Kim, and the only person who should be doing repairs is Russel Crow or ourselves.

Ok, I’m probably mixing this all up with someone working on something else or misheard. Sorry if it caused confusion.

Update: the huts & bolts never reappeared, but @Russell_Crow was able to customize some bolts and accoutrements he found at some bolt wonderland he visited. So… next step is getting adequate juice to run it. Woo-hoo!

3 Likes

If you run on 120 vac should be ok.
Need to do a thorough checking of the wiring first.
As I recall there are some loose covers on the motor.
Think someone said the motor has brushes/slip rings.
Kinda of odd for an ac motor.
Anyone know how what looks like a speed control works?

Is there any kind of documentation out there?

The thing requires the 220 type juice. So nothing until electrical expansion upgrades happen.

The motor is dual voltage. 110/220. It however must be wired appropriately though. It is a 1.5 or 1.75 hp if I remember correctly. Should look into what kind of bearing are on the motor since they have oil pots. Some motors after sitting too long will develop flat spots on the bearings and will cause vibration when turned on.

2 Likes

Someone was talking about a brush problem in the motor, but they appear to have about 1.25 inches of brush in both. The armature contacts could use some light sanding, however; with 320 or 400 grade paper, until the carbon is mostly gone.

For @artg_dms : I think that big speed control box has Selenium rectifiers and a Variac that’s a whopper.

Also, we might saddle soap the drive belt before we run it (yes, it looks like leather).

2 Likes

Replace that w/ vfd motor?

Edit - Good idea to remove the belt and run the motor through its paces w/ no load.

1 Like