Nuclear Science Day at DMS (2015 Edition)

National Nuclear Science Week (which only runs Monday through Friday) is 19-23 October. Therefore I have submitted a calendar request for Saturday, 24 October, 2 PM to 8 PM, for the common area. I will bring reactor posters, my timeline, some radioactive materials, uranium glass, that cloud chamber I might even be able to get to work this time, et cetera, & put together a YouTube video playlist which we can maybe use on the “Flight Simulator” TV.

Is anyone else interested in bringing exhibits?

3 Likes

I can’t really contribute besides perhaps showing off a tritium vial (no, it’s not a weapon sight), but I’ll make an effort to drop by and take a look.

1 Like

I have sent an order off to Purebuttons for 25 1.5" round buttons on cards with “DMS Nuclear Science Day 2015”, which should arrive by the required time. That neatly ate up just over $50 (even with free shipping), so I’m glad I applied for the honorarium. Instead of trying to keep a sign-up sheet, I’m just going to consider the number of people who attend to be 25-n, where n is the number remaining at 8 PM.

Might I suggest a nice container to bring all your nuclear paraphernalia and radioactive materials in???

That’s kind of bare. It needs something to make it modern, like, say, a digital clock display.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I have a conflict that day. If it clears up, I can do a talk about nuclear physics, reactors and bombs.

1 Like

…and handcuffs to keep it attached to the carrier.

1 Like

I have just received the parcel of buttons which I bought to give away at this event.

Also, I have scheduled another class : “Nuclear Breeder Reactors”, Tuesday, 3 November, at 8 PM.

1 Like

Just got back from the Nuclear Science Day exhibition. It was great fun and I learned a lot. Thanks to all for putting it together. Well done!
P.S. I can’t wait to use my “Nico Clean” atomic tobacco purifier on my cigar humidor!
Bill Erdman

4 Likes

Thanks for the button. Awesome event. I found the information presented both interesting and useful.

1 Like

Now that I have restored Internet access at home, I can finally post these photos and video that I shot at the Nuclear Science Day.

1 Like

If you want to make some of that available on the Wiki, I’ll add it to our Image Gallery.

1 Like

Sure, feel free to use what you like.