Nuclear fusion breakthrough

Nuclear fusion ignition in the laboratory confirmed:

3 Likes

Can someone provide more context? Is this type of mechanism that can be used for commercial fusion? Or is this a fundamental scientific experiment that replicates what happens inside the sun but probably not the type of mechanism that can be used for a commercial reactor?

I tend to believe that grid level fusion power generation is 30 years away and always will be.

2 Likes

Love Sabina Hossenfeld’s videos. But this one addresses the breakthrough claims. How to evaluate them: TOTAL Energy input consumed vs TOTAL Energy Output … then conversion to electricity which is the goal.

They may be making improvements but they have a long way go

4 Likes

Here’s one reason:

lol…36.4 million.

1 Like

By saying 30 years, you can get funding for nearly 20 years until they realize it will not work.

4 Likes

If they’re not going to mention the Q factor it’s not very interesting. We won’t see commercial reactors until Q > 25.

2 Likes

The reactor in the Science Lab should also achieve fusion, but first we need to fix the vacuum pump…
but if a 12 year old kid can do it, we can too:

1 Like

and no, we will not achieve a Q above 1 with a Farnsworth-Hirsch fusor design. But it will be cool to say we are the only Makerspace with a fusion reactor

2 Likes

Radioactive Boy Scout is not fusion but is a great book. It’s been a while since I read it but some of the most interesting sections deal with materials acquisition. Incredible creativity.

https://www.amazon.com/Radioactive-Boy-Scout-Backyard-Nuclear-ebook/dp/B000FC1AJS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3BXOMBM0D0PY1&keywords=nuclear+boy+scout&qid=1660704995&
sprefix=nuclear+boy+scout%2Caps%2C257&sr=8-1

I’ve read that book. It is tragic what became of him.

1 Like